The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

24 posts Page 1 of 2
Discovered a new snack?!
09 Jun 2013, 14:19
In Holland &Barrett's yesterday and bought a few packets of Garbanzo (chickpea) snacks. Just back from gym and munching now (my 1st food 2day)and they are very tasty and satisfying...so much so that I've left the last third of the packet for my fast day salad later.
Best of all the whole packet ...65g has only 88 calories and 2%fat and trace sodium and :oops: natural flavours. These ones are tomato,garlic & herb flavoured but think there's a chilli one too. Think they were 88p per packet.
Can't find these mentioned anywhere on the forum. Are they too good to be true?! :wink:
Re: Discovered a new snack?!
09 Jun 2013, 21:10
Sound yummy thank you. Will try them.
09 Jun 2013, 21:14
It's not really new, but I hadn't eaten it in a long time--sugar free raspberry jello. It's tasty, refreshing and only 10 calories per serving. Nice!
09 Jun 2013, 21:17
Heading there tomorrow to invest in a pack. I just love anything with garlic & herbs. :grin:
09 Jun 2013, 21:23
Ahh yum, I love chickpeas. Actually, you've inspired me to devise a 5:2 friendly roasted chickpea snack, so thanks for that.
09 Jun 2013, 22:22
Roasted chickpea snack? Oh please, do tell more...

(My H&B list is getting bigger and bigger!)
10 Jun 2013, 08:23
Yes border girl I use those 10 calorie jellies (Hartley) on fast days and they give a nice bit of sweetness after my main meal.
No kidding....... those chick pea snacks are very filling (as it says on the packet). I think I would struggle to finish one in 1 sitting and I,m greedy. There's a heck of a lot of chewing in them which is good on a fast day. :grin:
10 Jun 2013, 08:46
I've never tried the H&B ones, but I roast chickpeas at home quite often and they are delicious!! I also give them to my kids to snack on as they are a great way to eat lean protein and are much much healthier than crisps etc, I always make them when people come round as a before dinner snack!
10 Jun 2013, 08:50
Oooh! The chickpea thing sounds lovely! When you roast them at home, is it just a matter of whacking them on a roasting tray, seasoning them and turning up the oven? How long for?

Melis x
10 Jun 2013, 09:03
Yep, you take cooked chickpeas (from a can if you want to) and roast them for about 30 mins or so. I personally don't season them until after they are cooked, I add a little bit of oil though you could toss in lemon for less calories, and add salt, cinnamon, cumin...basically anything you want herb and spices wise.
10 Jun 2013, 09:11
I'm heading into town today during my lunchbreak - I'm now going via H&B too ! Sound too good to miss - thanks for sharing
10 Jun 2013, 10:36
Nicky_94 - what temperature do you roast the chickpeas at?
Thanks!
10 Jun 2013, 12:20
Thanks for the tip
popped in to H&B for some of these at lunch - fasting today - and spent £30 eeek

would also like the recipe / oven temp for home roasting the chick peas

jeniben
10 Jun 2013, 12:41
I roast chick peas, or sometimes nuts and seeds, with soy sauce, Gas mark 6 or 200C for about 5 minutes, giving them a shake now and then. If I had the oven on for anything else I wouldn't be fussy tho'. Yummy.
24 posts Page 1 of 2