The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

5 posts Page 1 of 1
Carbs
11 Jun 2013, 20:03
Sorry to be dense - seem to have lost the plot. Are carbs allowed on fast days? I was making an effort to not have them but wondered if that was a guidance.
Re: Carbs
11 Jun 2013, 20:06
Yes carbs are fine. At least I have never heard otherwise.
11 Jun 2013, 20:22
Carbs are allowed but not a good idea as they use up so many calories! Also, keeping carbs down helps keep insulin levels low and so allows fat burning to occur. Keeping insulin low has many other benefits too. So I'd keep on with what you're doing unless circumstances intervene and it's necessary to have some carbs on a fast day.
11 Jun 2013, 21:37
In the book Dr M recommends low carb on fast days as they keep most people full for longer. As Caroline says, carbs do eat into your calories. You tend to find what works best for you.
11 Jun 2013, 21:43
Also - Simple Carbs are usually higher calories so its not the most efficient use of our limitied calories on Fast days. I limit carbs on both fast and feast days.
5 posts Page 1 of 1