The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

28 posts Page 1 of 2
Brits, how do you do it?!
12 Jun 2013, 09:51
I want to express my full respect and admiration to Brits following the 5:2 diet here!

I live in the tropics and have been finding the fasting days fairly easy (perhaps not in the first week, but they are getting much easier now). However, I arrived in the UK a few days ago for my annual holiday and am finding fasting here extremely hard. It is flippin' FREEZING! Not getting my usual UK very milky cuppas is torture, and I've had to watch my family gulp down fish and chips on a cold windy day while I was drinking diet Coke :cry:

Kudos to you, British ladies. I knew you were tough but now I truly admire you! Trust me, fasting in warm climates in a doddle compared to what you do!

On the plus side, surely the cold will help me burn even more calories, and make fast days even more efficient? (I only have about 2 pounds to lose before I reach my target, whoop whoop!)
Re: Brits, how do you do it?!
12 Jun 2013, 10:04
That made me smile.....I guess we're used to the weather so its just the norm for us.....by the way what is sun????
12 Jun 2013, 10:09
Hi Nanou
I started this diet in January here in the UK and although I don't find it too difficult not eating I was always freezing on fast days during the winter. Since the weather has been pretty good the last few weeks its been much easier so I agree it might be easier to follow this WOE in warmer countries. I find I'm not so hungry when the sun shines, it's just a shame this doesn't happen much here (especially in Wales. :sarcastic: ) I'm one of the lucky ones who always lose weight when we go on our summer holiday due to the lovely sunshine!
Hope you're having a great time here even if our summer weather is up to its old tricks!

Daisy
12 Jun 2013, 10:25
Hi Nanou - oh yes, we're tough over here :smile: I love the sunshine and am really feeling the lack of it at the moment - on the plus side, I've never been a salad girl, so soup, soup and more soup on a fast day has seen me through it easily. When/if our summer gets here eventually I'll have to start on the rabbit food won't I. :bugeyes: Have a good trip in the UK - I do hope the weather improves for you soon - but can't hold out much hope I'm afraid. :neutral:
12 Jun 2013, 10:27
When people ask me "how come you don't live in Britain?" (I am half Brit) I reply "because I'd be sooooooooo fat". It's not just the cold, it's the glorious food and those amazing desserts and scones and Cadbury and please stop me, please!!!!
12 Jun 2013, 10:32
Soup is a great idea. I guess I had forgotten about soup! I'm also going to buy lots of different herbal teas for fasting days.
I'm sure the cold makes a massive difference! TML13, you also have an underactive thyroid, like me, don't you? It means we REALLY feel the cold too! No wonder we both emigrated! And the more weight you lose, the more you feel the cold!
12 Jun 2013, 10:35
Oh tell me about it, it's tough! I know what you mean TML13. I think it's the British food that caused my weight issues in the first place. :D Yes scones, sooo yummy. Full English breakfast...
I'm not British, but I live here and love the country as much as my own. But there's so many temptations everywhere... :)
12 Jun 2013, 10:36
I am always chilly on fast days and am finding that as I have lost insulation I am colder on other days too. Having turned the heating off for the summer - all five days of it, it is back on now :( out for posh lunch with a friend today struggling to find something that fits (in a good way) and is warm enough
12 Jun 2013, 10:44
I don't feel the cold as much as other Greek sufferers from thyroid, thank God for my British genes! But I so love British food, I gain more than 3 kilos in a week when I go to London or Glasgow.
12 Jun 2013, 10:45
The sun is shining here today in Stowgate but the wind is blowing across the Fens, so it's still not that warm!

Well done, Nanou, for maintaining your fasts while you are on holiday. At this rate, and with our chilly summer to stimulate your metabolism, you'll reach that target while you're here!

Enjoy the rest of your time in 'sunny' Britain!
12 Jun 2013, 10:49
Tough as old boots, us (but I must confess to still having the electric blanket on fast days, even in June :oops: )
12 Jun 2013, 11:14
Try Norway, albeit south of Norway where its the 'warmest' place! After starting this fast I am on cold mode which is unnatural me as I am a very warm blooded asian who only wear tank tops even in winter time. I was freezing and had a sweater on one of my fast day and everyone in my office and hubby later at home noticed it and mentioned it.......

The real big test is winter time when it gets REALLY cold and no sunlight from 3pm to 9am
12 Jun 2013, 11:24
Oh goodness, Aina, try to lose all the weight before winter! I can't imagine what it would be like fasting in a Norwegian winter!
I am going skiing in January and genuinely don't think I would be able to fast and ski all day. Too many calories needed!
12 Jun 2013, 11:31
Nanou wrote: Oh goodness, Aina, try to lose all the weight before winter! I can't imagine what it would be like fasting in a Norwegian winter!
I am going skiing in January and genuinely don't think I would be able to fast and ski all day. Too many calories needed!

What I do in wintertime is not gain weight! Its hard work but so far so good. People complain about putting on weight during Christmas and New year. I have been lucky to not like all the typical Christmas treats.
12 Jun 2013, 13:06
I started fasting during a hot Australian summer. It was easy to become accustomed to fasting during the hotter weather as I could always fill my plate with plenty of salad.

Now that Winter is here I have moved on to soup, soup, lots of soup. Or just a cup of stock if I am lazy or as a "snack" to get me through a cold and rainy afternoon. While I live in one of the colder parts of Australia it is not as cold as northern Europe (although our nights do go down to freezing). At night I tend to wear a spencer under my pj's and that way I find I can get to sleep without feeling the cold (and an extra woollen blanket too).

Hats off to the forum members fasting in the colder European climes. Well done and keep it up.
28 posts Page 1 of 2