The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

32 posts Page 3 of 3
BruceE wrote:
carorees wrote: It's not clear whether in those with normal insulin sensitivity a low carb diet is especially beneficial (though I think it is for those who have insulin resistance. Second, not everyone is willing to give up carbs and last, if it's not sustainable, it's not worth attempting.

Thank you, Carorees! I'm down 28 pounds in 22 weeks, and while I'm very happy about the 28 pounds, I think I'm more pleased about the 22 weeks. Not only have I been able to stick to this woe, I can easily see sticking to this or something like it for the rest of my life. I'm not sitting here telling myself, "I can't wait until I hit my target so I can never fast ever again!"

One thing I think tomtanks may or may not appreciate is that this woe seems to affect appetite (well at least my appetite, ymmv) in two ways. First, it gets you used to not eating when you are hungry and gets your mind in touch with what it means to be both hungry and satisfied (by contrast) so you don't start out a meal satisfied and eat until you're stuffed to get that same contrast. Second, budgeting your calories on fast days leads one to seek out and find the high-fiber, high-protein, low-calorie foods that lead to satiety. This carries over to feed days, and you find yourself actually craving this type of food.

If everyone was craving and eating that type of food, I don't think tomtanks would object at all, right? The type of foods I'm talking about don't include the refined carbs and sugars. :-)

BruceE, when did you start not craving refined carbs and sugar? I'm on 5:2 for 13 weeks and on fast days I eat (hence I crave) the same way I ate before I started it.
Unless it has to do with the quantity and not just the quality? I mean, I eat sugar everyday but in the form of a small piece of chocolate and I have dessert only once or twice a week. I'm guessing that if I ate dessert everyday and after 5:2 I did so once a week then it would be considered a success, right?
True. I suppose given the state of the economy etc we really shouldn't wonder at the fact that they can't read an instruction book even when someone has sat down with them and explained it! :lol:
32 posts Page 3 of 3