The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

26 posts Page 1 of 2
...of loneliness and despondency that always threatens to settle when you realise that eating is over for the day."

From Nigella Lawson's How to Eat

:-)

I get that almost every day, but particularly when I am fasting. Is there anything you go to that helps you stave off that moment? I always save enough calories for a small apple quartered and smeared with a little peanut butter. I call it my "fast pudding".

What's yours?
I have a cup of chai or chocolate tea (Tescos) during the evening and then at bedtime I have a 40 calorie hot chocolate on a fast day.
I saw somewhere on the forum that someone recommended really strong, dark chocolate. I've been buying the 85% Lindt and just have one or two squares at night or during the day if I'm desperate and strangely enough it is satisfying my chocolate cravings.
1 square 90% dark chocolate after dinner. :)

Oh, I see I'm not the only one. lol ;)
A pint of tea with skimmed milk (I'm not sure how many calories are in skimmed milk, most data seems to say 2% fat, where this is fat free), or a black coffee.

It's what I would normally have at this time on a feed day, so I feel as though I'm back to normal. I have found that I have been able to resist plates of toast, bowls of crisps, nuts and sweets on feed days because every evening is virtually the same.

(Some of this is not entirely true on Friday and Saturday evenings, but I am going to post a thread on that, maybe :?: )

If things get really bad, I will prepare breakfast and packed lunch for the next day, so I know what I am looking forward too. As the food is for the next day, it belongs to then and somehow, I don't want to eat it and the moment passes.
I found out lemon gelato is not many calories.. so i have a bowl of that after dinner on fast days now. Im in Sydney the brand is Duccio .. very hard to get.

for feast days its their Chocolate gelato

if your in Sydney enquire here for stockists http://ducciogelato.com.au
I always, always save enough calories for a low-cal hot chocolate in the evening of fast days. And if I really need something else, a small serving of delicious fruity creamy decadent mango frozen yoghurt tricks me into feeling not deprived (oh I want some now)! 50cal for 50ml, or thereabouts.
I know this is boring but brush your teeth then you either forget about food or you dont want to eat after brushing.
I save my 75cal yogurt until the evening, during the day it's endless herbal tea and water.
Another trick I use is to drink a glass of water as I often find what I think is a hunger pang is the fact that I am thirsty. However, as I don't want to have to get out of bed in the early hours of the morning, I wait until about an hour after I have eaten and clean my teeth.
I always get a similar feeling in the afternoons of fast days. That's when I know it's time to take a loooong nap.
I make up a pint of sugar free jelly the night before a fast day and keep it for as late in the day as possible. The strawberry and raspberry ones are still quite sweet tasting and i think that for me it is taste that i miss sometimes and a spoonful here and there is usually enough to cure my pangs. When i'm really hungry before bedtime i usually devour the remainder lol. I also use the 40 cal hot chocolate drinks too when required. :wink:
Hi, hope you don't mind my butting in but... just wondering are you allowed sugar free jelly on fasting days?? and if so what are the calories?? sorry ime new to this fasting and i am still finding my way around things
Jules, one is allowed anything they fancy on fast days. I've eaten chocolate and drunk wine on fast days...
The calories on sugar free jelly vary, always check the package. The ones I eat are 9 or 11 calories per portion.
Yay thanks Joolsb1. I read this about jelly, ran into my kitchen, found a packet and made it ready for tomorrow's fast. I'm 4.3 ing this week. Thanks it'll really help. Mind you ill have to hide it from the kids.
26 posts Page 1 of 2