The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

7 posts Page 1 of 1
I have been doing 5/2 for (I think) 3 weeks now. One thing that I am not enjoying is that on fast days I am having terrible headaches that develop into migraines. I have even woken up with a migraine today (did my fast yesterday) so the ibuprofen I took yesterday did not work. I am drinking lots of water and I have one sugary tea with caffeine to stop any problems with blood sugar/caffeine withdrawal on fast days.

I also had a nasty experience at 5am this morning where I was awoken from a dream with really bad nausea in my upper throat and ran to the bathroom because I thought I was going to be sick. This never happens to me and I am sure it is related to the fast. I don't know why I am having these symptoms. Incidentally, I had my bloods done just before I started the fast and they were all normal (except for low vitamin d which I am taking a supplement for). I want to continue (even though I don't seem to be losing weight) but if I feel like this each time, I don't see how I can. Anyone got any advice?
They do pass...really they do. I got bad headaches at first but they soon stopped...I'm afraid I can't remember exactly when as I've been doing 5:2 for so long now! Hang in there!
Belladonna, if your one fast-day cup of tea is significantly less caffeine than you consume on other days, the problem could be caffeine withdrawal. In that case, the gentlest solution is to reduce your caffeine intake gradually over the course of several weeks.

Also, having some salt with your water might help. Miso soup would do the job, as would simple salt water.
Yep, I had migraines too for the first couple of weeks.

I can't say enough about the modification called Pain Aid by Zee medical (on the web). You'll find it in some first aid kits in blister packs but its super cheap to order online.

I call it my magic pills. If I start to get a migraine and take them it goes away in 20 minutes when nothing else will even take the edge off.
I too have had bad headaches but do not believe it was due to caffeine withdrawal as I have always only ever have one cup a day. I believe it's where we lose excess water and take on less carbs. And it has got better with time.
I agree with Izzy on gradually reducing calories, I got really bad headaches on my first 2 fasts where I had about 450 calories per day. The next fast day I had 750 calories and got no headache. I've gradually been bringing them down by about 20 cal each time. Now down to 600 and no headaches have reappeared so far! xxx
Also forgot to say, acid reflux was a major problem for me when I first reduced calories but since doing it gradually that hasn't come back either xxx
7 posts Page 1 of 1