The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

12 posts Page 1 of 1
Dieting for teenagers
15 Jun 2013, 08:36
My 17 year old wants to lose the stone she has put on since giving up competitive horse riding. Would you recommend this diet for a teenager?
Re: Dieting for teenagers
15 Jun 2013, 08:42
"Recommend" is a strong term given we know squat about her ;-)

As she may still be growing her nutritional needs are somewhat different / greater than an adult, which is perhaps why the Fast Diet book says "not for under 18s".

There's also the shadow of anorexia stalking in the background.

So I would say you should decide if she's going to be sensible about it and whether you'll be able to keep track on her intake.
15 Jun 2013, 09:02
And I would add: consult her doctor.
15 Jun 2013, 09:24
Definitely no anorexia ....she loves food! She just has changed her activity levels and still has a hearty appetite. Very healthy well adjusted girl soon to be 18. Perhaps we just need to find her a new high impact exercise hobby.
15 Jun 2013, 09:56
From what you've said I think she'll do fine on 5:2 with the caveats above.

Tables 15 & 16 in http://www.sacn.gov.uk/pdfs/sacn_dietar ... energy.pdf
show a higher calorie requirement for 17/18 yr old girls on average than for adults (2462 vs 2175 calories) and obviously the quality of the food is a factor too.
15 Jun 2013, 10:50
Loving food has nothing to do with anorexia.
IMO (a very strong opinion, to be honest) don't do anything without asking a doctor and a doctor whom you trust to give you a proper opinion. A dietician with expertise in children/teens might be the best choice.
Please remember that the way our mothers see their body and our body will "haunt" us for all our lives so it is rather important to be careful and sensitive.
If it's sports that kept her figure then choosing another sport (or go to the gym or do some dancing) along with a better diet (more fruit, more veggies, wholemeal carbs etc) sounds much better for a 17-year old than fasting.
Don't forget that we still grow at that age!
15 Jun 2013, 11:52
We duo have pediatrician on the forum who is interested in using this diet for overweight teenagers, he's not here often but might be worth looking out for him @tardis58
15 Jun 2013, 16:31
Maybe instead of doing the 500 calorie fast, do 2 days of no snacks in between meals or no fizzy drinks, or no crisps chocolate etc.
15 Jun 2013, 18:47
Or Paul McKenna's book / CD "I can make you thin"? It isn't a diet, he just stresses "golden rules" of eating when you're hungry, eat what you want but consciously, and stop when you're full.
16 Jun 2013, 21:36
Thanks for your replies. She hasn't grown for years. She has pretty much looked the same since she was 12. I agree she needs to eat less and do more, not that she is inactive she is just not as active as she used to be. We are going to take up a power walking challenge which is a cheap and an easily accessible exercise. For now she is just going to cut out carbs two days a week.
17 Jun 2013, 18:27
She might not be taller but she is certainly growing. It might hot be her height but it might be some of her organs. We officially grow till we are 19-20, except for our nose and ears which continue to grow till we are very, very old.
17 Jun 2013, 20:06
Watterh wrote: Thanks for your replies. She hasn't grown for years. She has pretty much looked the same since she was 12. I agree she needs to eat less and do more, not that she is inactive she is just not as active as she used to be. We are going to take up a power walking challenge which is a cheap and an easily accessible exercise. For now she is just going to cut out carbs two days a week.

How about adding some Salsa classes? Excellent work-out and very social. In fact you could join her. Nice to share an interest, especially one that makes you sweat but is actually pleasurable.
12 posts Page 1 of 1