The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

20 posts Page 2 of 2
I have lost almost 50 pounds doing 5:2 and have actually done less exercise then normal..mostly due to a couple of injuries and a crappy winter/spring around here.

Diet is far more important to weight loss then exercise is...particularly aerobic exercise. Weight training is actually more beneficial to weight loss then aerobic exercise.
I was recovering from a broken foot when I started 5:2 so couldn't do any exercise at all for the first couple of months - I even had to do my shopping online. I still lost weight though but now that I'm walking and doing some gardening my weight loss has come to a stop. I'm not worrying about it, I know it will eventually start to go down again however slowly. You will still lose weight Sjtaylor but perhaps not quite so fast.
Hi All
Seems like we are talking ourselves out of "exercise" just because we can still lose weight by being a couch potato. I've found myself falling for the same line. Because I have lost about a pound a week after starting the fasting routine 10 weeks ago.
The rationale is "If I lose weight then I don't need to exercise except to get out of bed and walk to the car."

What about your brain and heart and other vital organs? Even a good 20 or 30 minute walk is shown to strengthen the heart/lungs and help to stave off dementia as we age, to say nothing about calming some stressful times in our daily life.

There's a whole thread on "stress" in the forum and as far as I read it, no one mentioned the benefit of even mild exercise like walking, to alleviate stress.

I bought the thesis of The Fast Diet, that humans didn't necessarily develop by getting 2 or 3 meals a day as modern man equates as normal but probably had to involuntarily "fast" between searching, finding, fishing for food etc. But ancient humans also had to keep moving, walking, hunting, swimming, planting, whatever.........so don't talk yourself into being a "couch potato".
Keep in mind that weight loss is fine, but only one aspect of a healthy life.
Lecture over.......hope I can follow my own advice!
Dick in NW USA
SteveK2010 wrote: Yes, I'm doing no more exercise than normal (which is hardly any other than walking to the shops occasionally) and I'm losing.

Love your profile photo!
Yes, I've not been able to exercise at all for the last fortnight and have literally been chained to my desk all day working - yet I've lost both weeks and even more than I usually do! I love exercise though so will be returning to it next week, even if loss slows down.
20 posts Page 2 of 2