The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

9 posts Page 1 of 1
Am I doing it right?
21 Jun 2013, 21:08
I've only been doing this for a week so am very new to this WOE!
Just a bit down as after a week of 2 fast days and 5 "normal" days I was feeling quite good about myself.

After a colleague at work asked about the 5:2 and I explained it as the 500 calories on a fast day and 5 days of normal eating, her reply was that she didn't see much point in doing it if you weren't going to 'watch' the calories all the time.

I tried to explain that I would attempt to manage my intake loosely on "feast" days and not over-eat but did not want to fall into a trap of counting calories every day, as this kind of diet is something I've tried many times in the past, and failed miserably. I have always been unhappy counting calories and feel that I was not allowed to eat certain foods, and have ultimately given up and gone back to my bad eating habits.

I was hoping this WOE would not be like that.

Am I right, or am I heading for another fail?

Any thoughts?
Re: Am I doing it right?
21 Jun 2013, 21:19
Ignore her. You're fine & it does work. Give it a month as losses can be masked by normal fluctuations. The two fast days give you your calorie reduction. Think of it over the whole week.

Good luck!
21 Jun 2013, 21:20
Hi there

No, you are right...you don't have to count calories on the non-fast days...just don't go mad! In fact, fasting appears to reduce your appetite after a while so you start to feel full much sooner and naturally eat less on the non-fast days.

The process is not rapid, though, despite the name, so be sure to give the diet at least 6 weeks before deciding whether or not it is working. You will likely find you get big drops in weight some weeks and little or no change on others. It's not like other diets, but as you can see from my stats here on the left, it really does work!
21 Jun 2013, 21:32
That's what I thought. I wasn't after a quick-fix and appreciate it will take time, but I am just embracing the thought of being able to cope eating like this long-term, rather than dieting for a week or 2 and then not being able to keep it up.
Thanks for your positive replies - I intend to stick to it and am looking forward to the eventual change!!
21 Jun 2013, 21:33
Hi cat, I have been doing 5 2 for 10 weeks. Some weeks are easier than others but I have lost 17.5 pounds. I have tried to encourage some others to try this plan with no success either. There is so much info, adverts, and businesses out there trying to make money on weight loss programs that we tend to resist a new way to look at things. Chalk it up to different strokes for different folks.

Just know that if you earnestly try this for a month you will see for yourself that it works and that it is all about changing the way you eat forever not what you cannot eat. And smile smugly at your work mate when your slim and can eat/drink what you want at the next office function!
21 Jun 2013, 21:37
Sounds like you're doing ok to me, take no notice of her,but take notice of her coz lots of 'jealous' friends can get up to sabotage
This WOE works but eat sensible on your non fast days believe me it does make you feel like you've got the virtual band fitted !!! Amazing coming from a M/obese pensioner + if I can You can, so give it time to work and believe in it :clover: Sue
21 Jun 2013, 21:40
Yes, that's right. I don't count calories, just eat sensibly. What I have noticed, is that I have increased my fruit and veg intake because I am choosing to base most of my meals on salad and am choosing fruit as snacks instead of biscuits etc. I got one of those apple corer/slicer gadgets and have never eaten so many different apple varieties before. I have always eaten healthily but not necessarily sensibly, portion control etc. I weigh daily and enter the weight into a tracker on the iPhone called True Weight, so even though weight fluctuates throughout the week I can see a downward trend on the graph. Please give this a go and let us now how you are doing. Such a lovely friendly forum. Good luck :clover:
21 Jun 2013, 21:47
Yes Cat58,I know it's hard to believe but you are right-and it does work! I have a load of weight to lose and have had a steady if slow loss over the last 2 months! Yes,many forum members have lost far more than I have but I find this WOE not only easy but really enjoyable! last week I began to calorie count everyday hoping for a better weight loss- and I have this week put one pound ON,will be listening to my body now,not some computer programme! Good luck,and if your colleagues think you're mad then that's their loss, but of course it won't be,will it :lol: :clover:
21 Jun 2013, 22:00
Thank you so much for your replies! I love this forum - think I would have given up after the comments in work today but you've all helped convince me I can do this!
Wendy darling - I've just downloaded True Weight so will be interesting to use as I am a daily weigher even though I know some say you shouldn't - I just can't resist stepping on the scales!!

I have really enjoyed this week - including the fast days - and am so glad to hear all your positive opinions as it really does help spur me on!
9 posts Page 1 of 1