The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

5 posts Page 1 of 1
I have been meaning to post on this for a while, but was prompted by some reading about people observing their thin friends eating. I read about Ayurvedic Doshas in the 90s, when I was living with a skinny guy, who would come home at night stating he was starving cos he's FORGOTTEN yes forgotten to eat! :confused: Well I was amazed as I had never heard of such a thing - food was never far from my mind and I would count the time till I could indulge again. He loved food, but it was just not something that prayed on his mind.

I believe there is in each society, terms for the body types (TML what do the Greeks call it?) - western it's Somatotype:

Ectomorphic: characterized by long and thin muscles/limbs and low fat storage; usually referred to as slim. Ectomorphs are not predisposed to store fat nor build muscle.
Mesomorphic: characterized by medium bones, solid torso, low fat levels, wide shoulders with a narrow waist; usually referred to as muscular. Mesomorphs are predisposed to build muscle but not store fat.
Endomorphic: characterized by increased fat storage, a wide waist and a large bone structure, usually referred to as fat, or chunky. Endomorphs are predisposed to storing fat.

The central concept of Ayurvedic medicine is the theory that health exists when there is a balance between three fundamental bodily humours or doshas called Vata, Pitta and Kapha.
Vāta or Vata (wind) is the impulse principle necessary to mobilize the function of the nervous system. It affects the windy humour, flatulence, gout, rheumatism, etc.[1][2]
Pittais the bilious humour, or that secreted between the stomach and bowels and flowing through the liver and permeating spleen, heart, eyes, and skin; its chief quality is heat.[3] It is the energy principle which uses bile to direct digestion and hence metabolism.
Kapha is the body fluid principle which relates to mucus, lubrication and the carrier of nutrients.

There are quizzes (http://doshaquiz.chopra.com/) that you can do to see which Dosha you are...based on hair colour, skin dry, oily etc. They also believe it is a predictor of temperament...eg the larger build is slower to anger etc Or whether you are naturally one of the smaller build Doashas but because of what u have eaten u have got too much of the bigger bodied dosha, meaning u r out of balance. They believe that each body type should eat and avoid certain foods. Fascinating really.

I think it must come into play whether people like eating all day or only at night or no food etc on fast day.
Izzy no didn't see that thread, tho I saw the doco where the Uni students had to eat 5000 cals a day for some study, they found it difficult - ho ho, should have spoken to me! They were swilling beer and eating chocs. And yes most went straight back to skinny when they ate normally - did u see that doco?
I read some research showing that type 2 diabetes is (unsurprisingly) more common in endomorphs, but that IGF1 levels were not associated with any particular body type.

Of course the ayurvedic types have no scientific basis whatsoever being an ancient concept from before people understood anything about biology!
I enjoyed that little test, it's good to know I'm a balanced Kapha (I think).
I always thought I was a bit unhinged personally. :bugeyes: :lol:

Thanks for posting that, it was interesting.
Chris x
5 posts Page 1 of 1