The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

18 posts Page 1 of 2
I know it's not smart but...
26 Jun 2013, 14:47
has anyone ever had junk food on a fast day...still staying within the 500cal?

I've been having a really hard time with myfasting day so far, but managed to only use 45 cal so far and now i'm contemplaining having a double cheeseburger from McDonalds for dinner :confused:

its "only" 450 cal so calorie-wise i could, but wouldnt it be better to spend the calories on healthy stuff?
It absolutely would but if the cheeseburger is what you really, really want it might be worth it. What options do you have - could you buy or cook something else?
Eek go healthy as you can find some fabulous meals in our recipe section. The energy you spend getting prepared and then making you meal as well as healthy ingredients will be well worth it

IMHO I think the track you are considering heading along spells disaster.
I have a very healthy tomato/onion/spinach omelette planned ;-) But boy do i crave junk food right now.
But since the rest of the family is having a normal steak, spinach and potatos dinner i think i will go for that omelette. Have an hour to decide before its dinner time, will try to make the right decision ;-)
I had a chicken curry with noodles for my fast day once. I enjoyed eating it, and while I did get hungry quicker afterwards than I would have with my usual low carb meal, it was worth it and I didn't mind a few hunger pangs. They pass quickly if you distract yourself.
could you do a cheeseburger at home and grill the burger maybe not use a roll etc - or will that be defeating the desire? - if you want it have it but i know i would be hungry again shortly after if i had something like that

jeniben
If you can get to a shop you should be able to make yourself a healthier version for similar calories - try a quorn/meat free burger for around 130 cals, add a nice bap for about 200 cals, some salad, relish (about 20cals for a tablespoon), a cheese single for 50 cals...
400 calories for that, probably more filling (especially if you have a brown roll) and you'll still have 50 cals to play with - could add a couple of rashers of grilled streaky bacon or make a small side salad!
What does quorn taste like? Is it more like mushrooms or tofu, or is it more like truffles or msg?
It just sort of tastes savoury! Defo not mushroomy flavoured, I hate mushroom but I don't mind quorn. I wouldn't say it's very msg-y, but I don't know what truffles taste like! It's just a vaguely light meat taste, not quite chicken, not quite pork. I like the sausages and the mince but have heard bad things about the flavour of the bacon.
The odd thing is, just writing it down, reading the replies and some other posts, made me realise that it isnt so much that i want that cheese burger, its more a matter of "wanting to just be able to have one and be done with it and not want another one and ice cream te go along with it and still be 15 kg lighter"
So i will stick with the omelette for now and will make a home made burger next fast day, which will be Friday ;-) Will use extra lean meat and forget about the bun, but melt some cheese on it and have tomatos and onions and lettuce ;-)
Thanks all for the replies, which got me through a moment of weakness.
Thank you :smile:

I shall have to try it. They only sell the mince and the "chicken fillet" here, so maybe I'll try to fool myself and hide some quorn mince in my next stir-fry.
I find quorn mince works really well if you add a bit of beef stock to it ;)

Petra: that sounds like a gbood idea :) You could always have it in a pitta bread or wrap for about 100 cals instead of the bun, giving you a few more cals for real meat!
Glad to hear it Petravv, it's amazing how writing something down and getting feedback can help you through isn't it :-)

Glassmarble, the mince is good, but the bacon is terrible. I was veggie for 10 years and lived on quorn and all associated products, the only one I hated was the bacon
I have had a Subway turkey sandwich on a fast day, lots of salad so not too disgraceful. I've also had two bowls of Chinese takeaway wonton soup (and hoped for the best on the calories) on a fast day. Unfortunately I've now got a craving for a quarter pounder with cheese! Fortunately I'm not fasting today :grin:
Why not have steak and spinach without the spuds - unless the steak is supersized it won't come in at too many cals, and spinach is negligible. I 'm not a quorn fan, REAL food is always better!
18 posts Page 1 of 2