The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

14 posts Page 1 of 1
water on non fast days
29 Jun 2013, 10:42
Hi just managing to drink 1.5litres on fast days but do i still need that much every other days? Is this on top of coffee tea and the like? Sorry for the really dumb question
Re: water on non fast days
29 Jun 2013, 11:50
As the amount of water you need at any time depends on so many factors, thirst rather than any fixed target is the best guide. In fact, too much water can be bad for you.

The only slight problem is that some people struggle to tell the difference between hunger and thirst and will eat rather than drink, so having a small glass of water when you feel 'hungry' is a good idea. (If you still feel hungry you probably are!)
29 Jun 2013, 13:31
the water in coffee and tea counts toward your hydration - typically we get over 60% from those sources.
29 Jun 2013, 14:44
I have never been a fan of plain water. And yes coffee and tea counts but 8-10 cups of coffee is too much acid for your tum. Drinking plain water has been a huge mountain for me to climb but I did it. I now have to coffee's, 2-3 tea iced or not, and 4 waters. I have read along the line that hydration helps body's organs flush out toxins and fat. I actually enjoy the water more than the other choices. I am also blessed that I only drink soda on a rare occasion.
29 Jun 2013, 18:42
Hi shoobie I'm with you on this one, I detest the stuff yyuuukkk but did see the importance of drinking on fast days especially so I do drink it, I usually manage about 3 pints on fast days but fail miserably on feed days so I need to get that under control on top of my teas + coffees+ cup soups + oxo etc its a big struggle :clover: Sue
29 Jun 2013, 18:53
8-10 cups of coffee is too much acid for your tum
But my stomach is already acidic ? and as for coffee, Its pH averages around 5.0 - 5.1, which is more neutral than beer or any fruit juice and similar to carbonated water
29 Jun 2013, 22:44
Phil T, I have always heard how acidic it is and after two my stomach gets very unhappy. I only drink beer maybe 3 times a year, gave up fruit juice to eat fruit instead and don't partake in carbonated except again on a rare occasion. Perhaps I have a tender tum. Is this the ph for all coffee's? Does method of brew have effect?
29 Jun 2013, 22:53
the typical pH of the stomach is 1.5 to 3.5 ie strongly acidic, so I'm going to file any notion that coffee is acidic and causes problems under "Bollocks". Sorry.
30 Jun 2013, 00:03
dear mr "bollocks",as I found your posts of interest as we are all here to learn I started researching a few articles on coffee and human ph. Thus far I have read that in some people coffee is a problem if their ph is too acidic. And if their ph leans to acidic it can lead to some pretty heavy health issues. Secondly, in a separate article it discusses the theory of eating combinations of foods. Example, protein and carbohydrates. Proteins are acidic and carbs alkaline. If your body's Ph leans acidic you have more problems digesting carbs. Well I had an aha moment as I have a carb issue. I will continue my studies. And perhaps get a blood test.

And I have to say that I find your last comment very curt and your not sorry. Go eat something!
30 Jun 2013, 01:04
Also Mr. Bollocks if you had continued to read the article that you quoted this is what you would have found.

Side Effects of Coffee

The side effects of coffee are well known and include causing stomach pains, and making you feel jittery. Some studies have also linked coffee with higher blood pressure and heart rates. Coffee may also contain some potentially carcinogenic substances.

As with all foods, the key is to consume coffee in moderation.

Read more: http://www.naturaltherapypages.com.au/a ... z2XeiyYPGV

It is important to be mindful of the fact that we are all learning the ins and outs of proper dieting and an accumulation of sources should be evaluated before forming a conclusion. I feel it is always best to suggest things from a more humble stance as some people may be applying the content of these blogs to their diets. Making such statements with such confidence could easily lead a new less knowledgeable dieter astray. Therefore not having the desired affect which would inevitably cause them to get discouraged. This is a source of support not a bollocks measuring contest which you just lost. So Please educate yourself before attempting to educate others.
30 Jun 2013, 10:41
I think that the acidic effect of dietary protein is only really relevant for people with kidney disease? I read that most of the dietary causes of acidosis was down to salt intake in fact. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17522265
But it seems that the assessment of acidosis from diet is fraught with complications so it's hard to say what is or isn't acid producing: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22342140 and this study found coffee consumption was associated with a lower acid load for the kidney: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17413116
01 Jul 2013, 01:49
Thanks for the info Carorees. It may take awhile for me to digest the abstracts. I have become very sensitive to salt in the past year.
01 Jul 2013, 07:41
Due to high blood pressure I've been off 'proper' coffee for years, just have decaff' these days.

Must admit I've even been off decaff' and recently not been drinking much coffee at all. Probably find things rather different in winter, but in summer just have water or fruit juice (and alcoholic drinks at weekends of course :bugeyes: )
01 Jul 2013, 08:15
It also depends on the quality of the coffee. The one we drink is high quality, the kind we don't kind in the supermarkets (we order it online) and is 100% bio. It's the only one I can drink without feeling stomach pain, anytime during the day, even just going to bed without having any insomnia.

I also drink a lot of water, spztkling or not, with 1/2 lemon juice, berries or cucumber to give some flavour and be a little exciting. I drink as much during fast days and "normal" days, about 2l and always have a bottle near my bed as I drink a lot during the night as well.
14 posts Page 1 of 1