The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

20 posts Page 2 of 2
Re: Digital scales
07 Jul 2013, 07:33
Just about to weigh, so will remember all of the above ... Might be difficult to do the last one :lol: :lol: :lol: as already been in preparation (too much info - sorry! :grin: :grin: :grin: )
22 Jul 2013, 03:51
I didn't want to start a whole new thread, so I'm bumping this one.

Up until now I've been weighing once a week, and that was done at the health clinic on campus. This was because of my eating disorder/scales obsession history. I decided, though, that eventually to maintain weight, I'll need to have scales in the house, so I decided to buy some all-singing, all-dancing scales. (They sing and dance in Japanese, which is another story--I still don't understand half the numbers it gives me!)

Anyway, I've been surprised at just how much my weight varies from day to day. I weigh daily and record it in the true weight app for iPhone. My swing in week 1 has been 1.2 kg. I do 4:3, so I wasn't expecting so much variation, or was at least expecting the post-fast weigh-ins to be more similar. I'm worried I'm not going to lose this week, because my last official weigh-in (the one I recorded here) was the lowest number of the week.

I'll try not to worry... this is why I didn't have scales! I've been running a lot, trying to get ready for a half-marathon, so I'm guessing it's water weight for muscle healing (I have been sorer than usual after running--I think my knee is swollen today, too). I'm trying hard not to obsess. So far I've never stepped on it more than once a day.
22 Jul 2013, 03:55
I have a new phenomena i only discovered today with my digital scales. If i point East its 300g lighter than if i point south. Im thinking its cause teh floor is slightly at an angle and thus scales more accurate where its flat. I take East direction today as my true weight cause its a much more appealing number :-)
22 Jul 2013, 08:58
If I step on twice and both are the same, then fine. If not I step on a third time and take whichever number showed twice!
22 Jul 2013, 17:52
Our scales are still being erratic even though I fed them a new battery two weeks ago...

Random six pound differences (even the OH believes this now as it recently did it to him) - gains, losses etc. and that's all when using them in exactly the same place on a stone floor. Even bigger variations if one moves them about - but not always: some days they can read an extra five pounds regardless of where one puts them. Then there's the trick of 'which leg to stand on'... Then they behave perfectly for a few days before going loopy again. Infuriating. @Juliana.Rivers I like the East / West trick - I'll try that one next time.

I serendipitously found a set of analogue scales in a charity store at the time the digital ones went dolally so I sanity check the digitals against them...
20 posts Page 2 of 2