The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

10 posts Page 1 of 1
Facebook groups
03 Jul 2013, 18:50
I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this? It scares me how many people (mostly youngish girls/women) are posting on various 5:2 groups saying that they use a calorie tracker such as My Fitness pal, and are trying to eat under 1200 calories on their non-fast days. They don't seem to have any concept of how this works. I've been trying to give them the correct info, but then another one pops up saying they are losing loads & only eating 8200 to 9000 calories in a week. The "diet" is going to get a bad name :frown:
Re: Facebook groups
03 Jul 2013, 19:01
Quite a few years ago I went to slimming world it was then called Silhouette, we calorie counted and they would tell you how many calories a day we were allowed, mine was 1000 calories a day I lost more than 3 stone and got my Gold Badge and it worked,needless to say I couldnt keep it up and over many years put it all back again ,its a pity because this WOE with 5.2 you don't have to restrict yourself in that way
03 Jul 2013, 19:05
myconcern is that they are doing the 2 days at 500, and then 1200 to 1300 on their normal days. I'm with you in that this way works better.
03 Jul 2013, 19:12
Yes with this WOE you feel like shouting it from the rooftops ha ha
03 Jul 2013, 19:58
I've been banging on about this from the beginning, people do a double calorie restriction. I've felt like the diet police and had to have a "rest" for a while.

Diet works better for some people with a range of intakes, which mimics "real life" with a small calorie deficit...and is therefore sustainable. Existing on less than a 1000 cals per day, on average through the week, is not in the long-run good for you or sustainable. However, people lose weight and that's what they want...

I think it's better to be healthy but each to his/her own, I suppose...
03 Jul 2013, 20:04
I'll bet they don't intend to stay eating so little for the rest of their lives so if they have to do this just to reach their target weight, I can't see how they will stay at target in the long-term. If you have to take extreme measures to reach your goal weight you need to be prepared for the weight to come back on when you stop 'dieting'. That's why we call this a way of life not a diet because the idea is to carry on fasting once/twice a week (and/or 16:8 or whatever you choose to be sustainable) to maintain, not just reach a target and stop. As we know, the real challenge is not the weightloss, the challenge is keeping the weight off!
03 Jul 2013, 20:18
As someone who has lost 2/3 stone and put 3/4 stone back on several times, staying on or near the wagon is the key. I gave up "dieting" 10 years ago because I decided the yo-yo'ing was worse than being overweight.

But this is much better, I've now lost some weight and can live with these restrictions, I feel, indefinitely.
03 Jul 2013, 20:39
I agree with what you say BBT053 I too have said I will never diet again as I dont want to yo-yo like I have in the past,then I discovered this WOE and I thought"I can do this " and I am doing it,this is forever :)
04 Jul 2013, 03:05
See following for example on this site:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6659
04 Jul 2013, 06:16
But at least here that attitude wasn't encouraged :like:
10 posts Page 1 of 1