The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

15 posts Page 1 of 1
For two nights in a row I have eaten my dinner, and over eaten to such an extent I either nearly vomited or want to be sick as I am so uncomfortably full.

I have never been anorexic or bulimic, so this isn't a re-occurance of a previous problem and I am not a new hand at this WOE, as I started back in February.

I thought I had sorted my 'push the plate away when full' trigger, but it seems to have deserted me again. :confused:
First, you probably need to figure out WHY you eat so much as to nearly vomit, before you can then figure out how to deal with it. Only you know that.
Hey,
I've actually been using this book
http://www.eatingless.com/ to help with my overeating tendancies. I'm finding it useful, albeit a slow process :)

Lucy
Hi Julieathome. I've noticed from your other posts that you are going through an awful lot at the moment. The stress alone is enough to make you overeat. You also then seem to be beating yourself up about it. Do you have someone to talk to about it all? Maybe even a counsellor or some professional. Sometimes you need to get it all out.
Anyway I'm no expert just a concerned fellow faster so I hope my suggestions don't offend in anyway. For now I will send a big gentle hug.
I live alone and have the tendency to overdo it when I've prepared too much for one, which happens often. Lately, even before 5:2, I decided how many meals I could get from a certain recipe, then only put a single serving on my plate. The rest quickly gets put in the freezer or fridge for another day.

I also try to savor every bite, rather than scarfing it down, another bad habit.

I hope that is helpful. Along with another virtual hug!
I have that problem at the moment. Fast days are easier than feast. But I am sure the reason I feel like I am ready to explode is that I am getting used to eating less. When I look at what I 'over did it' with, it often isn't as much as I would normally get full on.
Convert52, that's partly it, I only had a single bowl of stew and a bread roll for the dinner before, but then I unthinkingly started eating my husbands left over roll as well. That roll is what pushed me over the tipping point for that meal. I can easily put that one down to my mother and her 'eat everything on the plate there's starving kids in Africa' brainwashing and being the family dustbin for years before.

Last night, it was takeaway night, so I have a small tray of donar meat with fries and salad, no pitta bread. But I kept on eating, even when overfull. This one I attribute to portion size, as I would have eaten that easily before 5:2 and had a bit of my husbands as well, I just couldn't push it away from me. The next donar kebab is going to be split with my hubby.

I have taken my courage into my hands and put it all in a food tracker and luckily my calories for yesterday at least were still below my TDEE, so hopefully there's no lasting damage done.
Oh Julie, I really feel for you. I'm exactly the same on non-fast days. My 'think of the waste' reaction completely over rides my 'think of the waist' instinct. Like you, I'm sure this comes from years of having to clear the plate and guilt about others less fortunate. We were also 'kept quiet' with having biscuits etc chucked our way as kids - it's very, very hard to get out of this mind set.
But the great thing is that you are conscious of it now, and I'm sure that you will succeed in doing something about it! That,s the way this woe seems to work. And you are being honest with yourself and others here, which is very useful to everybody! And as Wineoclock says you have a lot on your plate, not just the food :grin: ! Good luck Julie keep on doing what you're doing and thinking it though cos you will get there in the end I'm sure :heart: :like:
I think wineoclock has it right. The stress you are going through is likely increasing cortisol levels which is known to stimulate hunger and promote weight gain. Plus the tendency for humans to put things in their mouths for comfort all adds up to it being very easy to overeat. I think you've spotted the portion size thing, so perhaps you could try always using a small dinner plate for your food and restricting yourself to just one dinner-plate-full.

I've recently discovered how pretty much any left-overs can be converted into soup and so now don't feel bad about not finishing things up. We had meatballs and spaghetti last night and there are just a few meatballs and a lot of sauce left over. I'm going to give the meatballs to DS and OH for dinner and turn the sauce into soup for a fast day dinner for me! In former times, I would have finished up the meatballs myself as there were not enough left to feed us all another dinner.
I was watching a show the other day about the obesity epidemic and it was based on the science around an evolutionary developed physiology that triggers the body to eat to restore the body back to the weight it was after periods of weight loss. As someone who has lost, gained, lost, gained etc. on a yoyo basis all my adult life, I have had times after losing heaps of weight and looking and feeling great when I just ate and ate and ate and I couldn't stop myself. In addition, I consciously noted at the time when I was eating food that I didn't particularly find appetising, that I wasn't hungry, wasn't enjoying eating what I was eating and basically was out of control. Yet I could not stop. I believe there is some programming (physical as well as psychological) that is fighting against our weight loss efforts. I think 5 2 could help break the cycle because of the removal of constant deprivation. However, it may be that periodically the inbuilt programming still breaks through. Hopefully it is just occasional and you can get back into a more balanced routine again. Good luck!
TiareMaori wrote: I was watching a show the other day about the obesity epidemic and it was based on the science around an evolutionary developed physiology that triggers the body to eat to restore the body back to the weight it was after periods of weight loss. As someone who has lost, gained, lost, gained etc. on a yoyo basis all my adult life, I have had times after losing heaps of weight and looking and feeling great when I just ate and ate and ate and I couldn't stop myself. In addition, I consciously noted at the time when I was eating food that I didn't particularly find appetising, that I wasn't hungry, wasn't enjoying eating what I was eating and basically was out of control. Yet I could not stop. I believe there is some programming (physical as well as psychological) that is fighting against our weight loss efforts. I think 5 2 could help break the cycle because of the removal of constant deprivation. However, it may be that periodically the inbuilt programming still breaks through. Hopefully it is just occasional and you can get back into a more balanced routine again. Good luck!

More detail about this research here: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=395
One of the reasons I don't weigh myself very often is because if I have lost weight I then eat as if I haven't seen food for more than a week!

As TiareMaori wrote...... I was eating food that I didn't particularly find appetising, that I wasn't hungry, wasn't enjoying eating what I was eating and basically was out of control. Yet I could not stop.

BUT,if I haven't lost weight - I don't. Any psychologists out there that have a theory??
Oh Julieathome poor you,as has already been suggested use a smaller plate, chew consciously,put knife and fork down between each mouthful and try to listen to your stomach (not easy,I know) when you begin to feel full,walk away from the table as it take 20 minutes (is that right science woman Carol) before your brain registers its full.
Another more drastic idea-eat blindfolded and stop when full,get the OH to take your plate away so you can't see how much you've left. Good luck,try not to beat yourself up about it as it sounds as tho your having a bad enough time as it is :frown:
Sending big hugs x
lucy1984 wrote: Hey,
I've actually been using this book
http://www.eatingless.com/ to help with my overeating tendancies. I'm finding it useful, albeit a slow process :)

Lucy

Just wanted to say thank you for this Lucy, I got this on my kindle & it makes a lot of sense. Still to see whether it makes any difference, but it goes nicely alongside the 5:2 way of eating so I'm really glad to find out about it :).
15 posts Page 1 of 1