The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

20 posts Page 2 of 2
Re: Breakfast
08 Jul 2013, 12:59
I can't do breakfast because it awakens my "feed me" gene!

Mind you on feed days the last thing I want is breakfast, I usually need a couple of hours to wake up before I chow down ;)
08 Jul 2013, 13:38
O'Dell wrote: I spend quite a few of my fast day calories on breakfast...approx 200. I make my own mix of oats, chia seeds, dried fruit and nuts with coconut/almond milk (unsweetened). I've found that if I don't have something in the morning on a fast day then I'm tempted to snack after dinner, and sometimes that temptation is too strong. :frown:

O'Dell, that sounds yummy. What quantities do you use for the 200cals? I have all this stuff in my cupboards and it sounds like it might be a nice meal in this hot weather when I can't be bothered to make anything hot. I probably wouldn't have it for breakfast but would be lovely any time of day and I would find it quite filling (depending on the portion size of course!)
08 Jul 2013, 14:55
Gah! I'm not a strict calorie counter so my 200cal was an estimation. It's more like +230. Eat at your own risk!

1 T chia seeds (60cal)
1/3 cup rolled oats (100 cal)
2/3 cup coconut almond milk (30 cal)
4 pecan halves chopped (40cal)
10-20 dried blueberries or raising (1/4 cup 130 cal so I dunno...)

I mix it up and let it sit in the refrigerator overnight but a few hours will do. No cooking necessary but I heat it up a bit on cold mornings.
08 Jul 2013, 19:36
Thanks O'Dell - I'm only a vague calorie counter too on fast days (not at all on non-fast days) - don't want to get obsessed and if I'm gonna be doing this one day a week for life I want to get a feel for what's the right amount of fast day food so I don't need to count.

Looks like a very similar thing to this: http://ohsheglows.com/recipage/?recipe_id=6010150

I tried it last year but didn't really like the sliminess of the chia seeds. But I'm going to give it a go again, it's hot here at the moment so cooked oatmeal/porridge is not appealing! Lots of other yummy breakfast recipes on the website too - I'm not vegan but love the food on here so much!
08 Jul 2013, 20:09
Just started, but this is my plan. Fresh coffee. Need it badly. Used to be with a dash of cream but now only at weekends (life is short). Small M&S salad mid morning, but trying to give that up. Another one for lunch. Lots of water and then a sensible evening meal. Giving up the Scottish nightcap will be a real challenge, especially when its on the premises, which it normally is. I thought about having one after midnight so it's technically not on a fast day, but I guess that would be cheating.
20 posts Page 2 of 2