The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

9 posts Page 1 of 1
Fruit to avoid on fast days
07 Jul 2013, 19:31
Hi all

I'm new to this and starting it tomorrow, but was wondering what fruits should be avoided on fast days?

Thanks
Re: Fruit to avoid on fast days
07 Jul 2013, 19:45
Welcome Jenpen77!

I can't remember what to avoid but I do remember reading that berries are very low cal and low gi so they are great, I often have strawberries on a fast day! I think apples are also recommended recommendedin MM's book. That said as long as you stick to your calorie allowance you can have any fruit you like!
07 Jul 2013, 20:14
Seconding Nicky_94 on the berries. If I remember, you want to eat off the low Glycemic Index chart. Berries are good. Not easy to check out, but 'worst' fruit would seem to be bananas. Any are better than Twinkies. ;>)
07 Jul 2013, 20:28
Fruit tastes good because it has a lot of sugar. In general, though, fruit is relatively low in nutritional value. On fast days you really want to cut sugared and low nutritional foods. Generally, they digest quickly and leave you hungry without any calories left to satisfy the hunger.

Good foods to eat on fast days are meats, fats and eggs. They provide good nutrition and digest slowly, so you are not as hungry.

After you fast for a month or two, you may find, like many others, it is easier just to not eat anything on your fast days.

:clover:
07 Jul 2013, 20:39
Nothing is off limits it's more what is the most value for your calories. I usually eat vegetarian on fast days which includes lots of greens. We are getting some beautiful strawberries at the moment so if I have enough cals left I will have some of them.
07 Jul 2013, 21:11
I must say that after spending a hot morning (from 7am to 1pm) standing out in the sun at a stall, 300grams of watermelon for 106 kcals was worth it.

But I have found that fruit on fast days doesn't normally give enough nutritional bang for my calorie buck.
I much prefer to have proteins and veg with very little carbs.
08 Jul 2013, 11:56
Pretty much all fruit is too high in sugar/carbs to be really recommended on a fast day if you want to feel satiated. However, berries are the best of the lot. As the strawberry/raspberry season is so short, I am in fact treating myself to a small bowl of strawberries with a teaspoon of cream as a fast day dessert if I have enough calories left.
08 Jul 2013, 12:02
When I want a small snack (or 'lunch') - I often have 80g frozen berries with 100g low fat greek yogurt. Nothing special about the serving size, just that on the frozen fruit packet it seems to list 80g as a serving size for around 25cals and its a reasonable enough portion so I just go with that. Likewise with the yogurt. I wouldn't find fruit on its own very filling, but the protein in the yogurt helps it last longer and if its frozen fruit it takes a while to eat as well. Although tonight I will be having my yogurt with fresh strawberries off the garden.

On a non-fast day, a huge wedge of watermelon with lime juice squeezed over is my absolute favourite thing to eat in really hot weather.
08 Jul 2013, 13:41
I often have strawberries or grapes for my 'lunch' on a fast day and find them both quite satisfying and then can easily last out till my evening meal.
9 posts Page 1 of 1