The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

8 posts Page 1 of 1
Not sure what's going on here. Weighed myself this morning (9st 13)and I have put on 1lb after a fast day. ie. I am a 1lb heavier than I was for the 2 feast days before it!

What's going on?
* I ate exactly what I always do on fast days - so no extra calories over the 500.
* I didn't do any exercise (apart from 40 mins walking which I do every day) - so no extra muscle weight as an excuse.
* It isn't that time of the month - so hormones rules out.
* Yes, I do have Hashimoto's but I've been loosing steadily over the past 8 weeks by doing 5:2 (Mon-Thurs) and 16:8 (Mon-Fri).

Has anyone else experienced this? would love to hear that it magically means my body is storing up fat in order to loose a vast amount of weight after this Thursday's fast!
Don't panic! I've often found the loss comes on the second day after a fast. If you were drinking loads it could be water, or if you are a bit sluggish in the bowel department that can, of course, result in a weight gain from the food you ate yesterday still being in the system. One thing is definite, it can't possibly be 1lb of fat!!! You have to over-eat by 3500 cals to gain 1lb of fat, so it's just not possible.
I totally agree with all Caroline says above. The only additional help that I can offer is to suggest that, if you are going to weigh yourself every day, then acquire a 'Zen-like' approach to the inevitable ups and downs which you will see! There are many frequent weigh-ers on this forum and the most successful of them use apps to produce trend lines, which is what they concentrate on. If you 'search' the forum, I'm sure that you will be able to locate their posts or maybe someone will come along to offer you more help than I can provide.

For the time being, don't fret. It's not real weight that you have gained and it will go as quickly as it came! Onwards and downwards!
I weigh daily and use the app TrueWeight - it has a crocodile teeth zigzag line of my daily fluctuations, and a smoother trend line which gradually goes down (and occasionally slightly up for a day or two), but it's much easier to concentrate on the trend line.
There are other similar ones - I think the Weight Monitor app is another, but I am sure others will recommend.
I'm a daily weigher. My weight can fluctuate by a kilo or two in a day, so it's much easier for me. I used Libra on Android. Prob posted this before but just so you can see...
Libra_2013-07-03.png
Libra_2013-07-03.png (27.72 KiB) Viewed 1917 times
Could this high temperature weather be affecting us, making us retain water or something?
After all, we're no exactly used to it, especially after the longest cold Spring and June.
Azureblue wrote: Could this high temperature weather be affecting us, making us retain water or something?
After all, we're no exactly used to it, especially after the longest cold Spring and June.

Yes, there was a recent thread that discussed the effects of heat and that was the consensus. :geek:

I know my feet and ankles get a bit swollen with fluid on very hot days. ;)
carorees wrote: Don't panic! I've often found the loss comes on the second day after a fast. If you were drinking loads it could be water, or if you are a bit sluggish in the bowel department that can, of course, result in a weight gain from the food you ate yesterday still being in the system. One thing is definite, it can't possibly be 1lb of fat!!! You have to over-eat by 3500 cals to gain 1lb of fat, so it's just not possible.

I quite agree its quite surprising how it varies.

I cetainly wouldn't pay any attention to minor variations like that.

To be honest I wouldn't count every calory to the enth degree either.

I've cartainly been surpised to see my weight jump around a bit. I you're getting into portion rationing/control generally and getting a bit of excercise I feel sure you'll be fine! :cool:
8 posts Page 1 of 1