The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

17 posts Page 1 of 2
Hi,

I've started the diet today, so this is my first fasting day. All in all it's been fine - my only problem is that drinking water makes me hungry (it always has, not just today) so whereas my hunger pangs would normally wear off, they've been there all day - as I've drank plenty. Any ideas? I'm guessing the only thing I could do is have squash but include the calories?

I currently weigh 11st and am 5'6 - I'm hoping to lose at least a stone. :grin:
Hi & welcome! Well done on trying the 5:2 way of life :)

Squash might work, although sometimes the sweeteners in squash can make you hungry too! Black tea or black coffee may help. You could also try fruit teas, though perhaps hot drinks aren't so desirable in this hot weather!

I wouldn't worry too much about the squash calories unless you have it really strong or are drinking loads of it! For a couple of litres of water you're probably only using 10-20 cals of squash and going over your 500 cals by that much isn't terrible.
Hi,

You could try having Coke Zero as that doesn't have any calories in it, or maybe try sparkling water? the bubbles makes you feel less hungry :)
hope this helps!
If I get hungry like that I normally use 100 cals on some unsweetened yoghurt. I am in Russia so its a drink called Kefir or Ryazhenka. 100 ml is about 80 cals. I find the protein gets those hunger pains.

That works when I get that big hole that can't be filled... Then I drink tea or water.

It does get easier though, so hang in there :smile:
Try a warm cup of broth. Totally makes me think I am having soup!
Ah thank you...some fab replies there - I'll see how I go on my next fasting day (Thursday) and try some of those. I just wanted to check as I really want to stick to it, so didn't want to have too many calories. I've never calorie counted before so it's an eye opener!
I've just started today too, it was a last minute decision after just finishing the book.
All I've had today is a big bowl of crunchy nut chocolate clusters. And an orange juice from fresh how many calories would this be as I'm nights and only just got up....work in two hours!
I find a glass of mint ice tea helps. It tastes good and is very soothing..
Kellyt, according to MyFitnessPal, 1 portion of those clusters with semi skimmed milk is about 240 calories - nearly half of your fast day allowance
Julie123 wrote: Hi,

I've started the diet today, so this is my first fasting day. All in all it's been fine - my only problem is that drinking water makes me hungry (it always has, not just today) so whereas my hunger pangs would normally wear off, they've been there all day - as I've drank plenty. Any ideas? I'm guessing the only thing I could do is have squash but include the calories?

I currently weigh 11st and am 5'6 - I'm hoping to lose at least a stone. :grin:

Yes, low cal cupa soups.

It gives you a savoury hit and convinces (partly) your tummy you're having something to eat.

I ve been having gripes myself today as yesterday was a hard day at work. Its difficult to judge the protein intake.
If it's your first day give yourself a break!
Ha ha David - yes it's my first day and I've done well. I've eaten 480 calories so had some squash this evening which was lovely! Part of the reason I've never calorie counted is that I know I'll get obsessed with it (hence why I am today!).

Kelly - hope your day has gone well. I guess it's a case of trying different ways, I opted for a breakfast of 150 calories leaving the rest for dinner. Couldn't wait for it though!
Hello. I find on fast days I can't tolerate cold water so I drink it warm, so say a quarter boiling from the kettle, the rest cold from the tap. In a heat resistant glass of course. This really helps me and I have a huge glass of my hot/cold water first thing in the morning.
I drink water with a splash of lemon juice in it or slices of cucumber it's so refreshing. well done on joining!
Kellyt wrote: I've just started today too, it was a last minute decision after just finishing the book.
All I've had today is a big bowl of crunchy nut chocolate clusters. And an orange juice from fresh how many calories would this be as I'm nights and only just got up....work in two hours!

Hate to say this too but orange juice will send your blood glucose up apparently as will the cereal so if you're very hungry, next time try a protein-rich brekkie, eg egg or ham with a tea or coffee. Or alternatives you can eat happily.
17 posts Page 1 of 2