The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

51 posts Page 3 of 4
My OH started 5;2 last year and is doing so well. He is v supportive of my doing it and is pleased for me with my weight loss.
In fact this morning he said "the weight is falling off you, even your belly overhang is shrinking"

He has a way with words!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yep, sure is :-)

I'm largely here because of Mrs LastChance. We both watched Dr MM's program last August and - nothing. I thought it was interesting but unsure about the practicalities of what to eat on fast days, scrambled eggs for breakfast, then what?

It was only when we read the Daily Mail article in January with recipes by Mimi Spencer and the ten day eating plan that she suggested we should both do it. I just said "Ok". So she handles all the culinary aspects...

But she has been inspirational to me. We have both lost 17-20 lbs doing 5:2. But... Mrs LastChance has now lost 50 lbs since starting a fitness plan and watching what she ate carefully a little over 2 years ago.

Mrs LastChance had worked in Research for the last 14 years or so in local Unis, this was pretty much solid 6 month to 24 month contracts, then the inevitable happened and she ended up with a 3 month gap. So I suggested that she "always wanted to get fit, so go to the gym every day", so she did ;-) Basically, she went to the gym most days, did humungous amounts of cardio and weights, watched what she ate and she'd lost more than 30 lbs (prior to 5:2), and has continued losing on 5:2 since we both started.

Currently, together we've lost nearly 70lbs (I like to say: "35lbs each on average"). Her BMI has dropped from around 29 to 21 and has a resting pulse of 56. And the cutest derriere in the gym :grin:

So I guess that's a very big "Yes".
MY wife has grown accustomed to my Monday/Thursday fasting days. Yesterday she met with our daughter at a restaurant for dinner (I don't like Thai food and they do) while I stayed home on my fast day. She even gives me a little more slack on my fast days and saves most of the nagging for non-fast days. I'm still new to this but it is becoming a lifestyle change for us - and she has noticed that I've lost a little weight, too. I'm thinking she'll start the 5:2 diet any day now.
Unfortunately my answers are "Tolerant." and "No.".

To paraphrase Julieathome, "Doing the right thing isn't yet popular.".
He's supportive, but he doesn't join me. To be honest, I wouldn't want him to, I think he could do with putting on a few lbs - he does a shedload of exercise and stresses a lot, and the weight just falls off him.
My missus watched the program with me and started 6:1 a couple of days after I surreptitiously started 5:2, so we share Tuesdays as a fast day (of sorts). I am on maintenance now, in fact have been over-eating for the last couple of weeks to prove I have some control over the apparent terminal decline to zero weight, she is still diligently fasting on Tuesdays despite being at minimum weight already. We both look pretty skinny now but it seems to suit us OK. We are both pretty old, 62 & 61, with grown-up kids who are still around. The big one is going to the gym most days and building muscles, the younger one weighs the same as me but is taller (both boys, by the way). They think we are mad but the big one is reading about diets for bodybuilding and learning some useful stuff in the process. I can still run faster and further than them, and do more pull ups and pressups...

Juliana.Rivers - your BMI indicates you are just over 3 ft tall - maybe there was a mistake in your stats?
It's great to read how many couple are I this together. I feel rather sad for the people that aren't getting the support from their OH.
Lastchance that was a lovely post, how proud you are of Mrs Last Chance. You two are doing so incredibly well on the WOL.
To increase my knowledge base of the female psyche I must ask... I see a couple in this thread and have seen it in other threads as well. I am talking about instances where women do no tell their husbands that they are doing 5:2 fasting.

How come? Any reason(s)?
DomDom wrote: To increase my knowledge base of the female psyche I must ask... I see a couple in this thread and have seen it in other threads as well. I am talking about instances where women do no tell their husbands that they are doing 5:2 fasting.

How come? Any reason(s)?

I was going to make some comments of what I assumed were some reasons and realized that what I was thinking is probably the same reasons many of us DON'T tell anyone (other than our close personal people) .. expectations, criticism, monitoring, watchfulness, questions, etc. Some find it's better and more peaceful to just do their own thing without involving anyone else. :clover: May we all find our own self-confidence with our new-found appetite control. :like: :heart:
My SO is a natural 16:8'er without having any idea what he was doing. He is only driven to eat for sustenance so weight isn't an issue with him.

I wonder if 16:8 is what keeps him skinny?

Anyway, he's very supportive though was freaked out when I did my first zero calorie fast.
Yes my OH joined me on the 2nd week,so we support each other, there is only the 2 of us and do the same fast days which makes fast days easier. He just needs to lose his belly fat which he is doing, me drop quite a few pounds, haven't set a goal, just taking it week by week, We both like the other health benifits too. :wink:
Hubby is along for the ride too, we are finding our shopping much much cheaper, and he's loosing faster then me :(.

But we are both finding it great.
Wow. I was away from the forum for a day and surprised to see so many varied responses. It is daunting, some ladies here need to be a little secretive about it and endure behaviour that is less than 100% tolerant and forgiving but i guess every couple is different and its important not to judge.

I know i definitely could not totally be happy about this WOL without SO eating what I eat (plus 100 calories a day lol)

To a certain extent it's a bit of a fun "race" as to who can lose the most % body weight.
CreakyPete wrote:

Juliana.Rivers - your BMI indicates you are just over 3 ft tall - maybe there was a mistake in your stats?

that or im terribly short and overweight. My BMI looks very dangerous doesnt it. I think i should be dead tomorrow.

Yep. i entered my height wrong and have asked Moderator to rectify .. i send through a private message but any moderator in here.. feel free to fix. 171cm .
I even finally measured my waist and stomach area.. I find my waist difficult to measure accurately with my pear shape. you see with the "curve" i dont have a "flat" area to measure if you get me, but with stomach area its easier and ive lost 6 cm since starting :like: :like: :like:
I live alone and I've only told to people whom I know will be supportive. I have a fear of jinxing and negative energy and I usually keep my new ventures to myself.
51 posts Page 3 of 4