The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

18 posts Page 2 of 2
Probably his TDEE was higher than the 2400 average plus he had never dieted before plus not all that weight was fat...
Hi Kencc,

Watch the horizon program carefully again, particularly the 5 minutes or so towards the end when he tries the "5:2". He went on holiday and walked the Trans Penine Way. During this period he was shown having 24 hour fasts...

Really he was doing the TPW-diet. My opinion is that this accounts for a very significant chunk of the "over a stone in 5 weeks" that he reports losing.

My own experience is that a weeks solid walking (say in the Lake District) and you can easily loose 1/2 stone or more whilst doing a "7:0" and drinking gallons of real ale every night ;-)

I personally believe that there was more than a wee bit of "slight of hand" in going on a walking holiday in the middle of the 5-week 5:2 fast test.

As you've reasoned, the maths shows around about 1 lb a week weight loss from the calorie restriction (+ associated water)... If you check the "Progress tracker", you'll find folks losing around 1 or so on average..
Hi Kencc,

Agreed.

"Interesting that in the book, Dr M says he lost 19lbs in 3 months "

Yes this appear a more sensible (to me) long term, sustainable approach. Sustainability over the long term is key for me personally.

"It appears as well as following 5:2 he's taken this advice and may have upped his daily activity level by what may be a considerable amount ... perhaps additional burning calories equivalent to a 1lb weekly weight loss?"

Personally, I've found the need lately to consciously increase exercise (daily walking) and monitor or at least keep a very close eye on calories consumed during the course of the Feed days throughout the week and I also did a week of 4:3 recently...

The bottom line is my BMI is 35+ so in a very different territory from Dr M and Ms Spencer at their starting points. I think this needs to be taken into account when planning and working up a 5:2 strategy.

I note that of late Dr M is on 6:1 for maintenance. I'm wondering whether there's a strategy to consider of following 4:3 > 5:2 > 6:1 depending on initial BMI levels?
18 posts Page 2 of 2