General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

46 posts Page 3 of 4
Re: Daily Mail "Two Day Diet"
17 Feb 2013, 17:52
Its the Daily Fail FFS
they ONLY make money by making their readers feel inadequate
/ angry
/ prurient
(the whole right hand side of their websitre is the illegal papparazzi shots they said they would never use again in 1997)
they have several staff on over £100,000 a year whose job it is to fill weekly columns with diet advice - if they actually ever printed something that worked, they would be out of a job
so they so not

FFS
IGNORE the press
IGNORE the diet industry
listen to your body, look in the mirror.
Eat what your body NEEDS and no more
take control of your brain and hunger
and FEEL GOOD
17 Feb 2013, 19:31
Fair comment TIP but please don't shout, my ears are hurting! ;)
17 Feb 2013, 21:48
sorry but people taking the daily fail seriously drives any scientifically literate person to shouting the odd word

and i'm too idle to use bold !
17 Feb 2013, 21:53
TIP, I agree about the daily fail, but the diet is the one designed by scientists from the Genesis project so not completely baseless. I think the discussion here is focussing on the diet as studied by Michelle Harvie and published in peer reviewed journals. I think there may be flaws in the design but unlike 5:2 it has been studied in the form promoted by the book whereas 5:2 has not been formally studied.
17 Feb 2013, 22:03
Indeed,
and as Dr M states clearly on his site, the research has not been peer reviewed yet, applies to a very narrow subset of the population and should NOT be applied at random by a tabloid paper.

Sorry but I stand by my point that the more "rules" and "guidance" there are, the less self control and responsibility in the person following 5:2
And the only way people will properly get lean and stay lean is to internalise the message, rather than rely on external guidance.
17 Feb 2013, 22:09
But everyone is in a different place in their journey. Some people look for guidance and then end up confident, others will always struggle.
17 Feb 2013, 22:11
Oh yes, exactly TIP, that's one of the problems with the 2 day diet IMO. Although a lot of newbies here are keen to have some rules, with time and increasing confidence, the flexibility and ease of this WOL can be embraced. The 2 day diet is too prescriptive. Not to mention the questionable protein content, and the probably not low enough calorie intake on the 2 diet days to get any fasting benefits. I could go on...
19 Feb 2013, 17:09
http://media.todayfm.com/podcast/71514 - interview with diet creators
20 Feb 2013, 12:03
I'm afraid I have a HUGE problem with all of the Newspaper versions and the vast majority of the books (Michael Mosely excepted).

5:2 is a way of eating that can be summarised in one paragraph such that people succeed with it.

But if that happened the diet columnists and authors would be out of a job.
So instead they add rules and complications and set people up to fail - so that they stay in overpaid work.

Therefore I will never endorse any book or article, and will do my darndest day in day out to make people realise that 5:2 is really simple and they do not need to pay for advice.
26 Feb 2013, 08:13
More scientific evidence about the benefits of a Mediterranean diet, based on a five year Spanish study: http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2013/feb/25/mediterranean-diet-strokes-heart-attacks

That means: fish, chicken, fruit and vegetables, supplemented either by nuts or by olive oil. And much less red meat or dairy than we are used to. The best thing: 7 glasses of wine each week!
26 Feb 2013, 09:41
problem 1 - define the Mediterranean diet. Masses of red meat, sausage / ham and cheeses in the Majorca supermarkets I went in but less fruit and veg than here.

Wine at 1 euro per bottle.
26 Feb 2013, 21:12
Aren't places like Majorca aimed at the Uk tourist?
By 'The Mediterranean Diet' it is my understanding after having read about it you are meant to eat 'traditionally'.
The principal aspects of this diet include proportionally high consumption of olive oil, legumes, unrefined cereals, fruits and vegetables, moderate to high consumption of fish, moderate consumption of dairy products (mostly as cheese and yogurt), moderate wine consumption, and low consumption of meat and meat products.
When I was last in Italy we bought fresh fruit & veg picked that morning from the local shop, there was fresh produce everywhere and it tasted incredibly delicious compared to UK's stuff :)
26 Feb 2013, 21:13
Maltese diet
pastry, lard, more pastry, more lard, gnocchi, cheese
(no soil so not much veg)
rabbit
more pastry (pastizzi are yummy but SO SO fattening)

The "Med Diet" is what British Journos see in Chiantishire
not what is eaten in most of the med
26 Feb 2013, 21:17
Actually I didn't read about it in Britain and again it is based on traditional ways of eating not the Anglicized crap that they all seem to have in the touristy areas.
26 Feb 2013, 21:30
madel09 wrote: Aren't places like Majorca aimed at the Uk tourist?

Not in supermarkets. Very little in the way of English brands, labels etc.

Tapas for example :-)
46 posts Page 3 of 4