The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

15 posts Page 1 of 1
I was just looking at the great website: http://healthinsightuk.org/ and discovered this article:
http://healthinsightuk.org/2013/11/28/s ... /#more-954

Just how much of your diet should be made up of carbohydrates and how much of fat? The long running advice that carbs should form the basis of a healthy balanced diet has recently been coming under heavy attack – here (Why demonising fat is daft) and here (Saturated fat is not the major issue) for instance. So is there any chance that official advice might change?

Unknown to all but a few experts, a government committee has been investigating this question for an astonishing five years. Hannah Sutter, an ex-corporate lawyer with a detailed knowledge of nutrition has been investigating that committee and has been appalled by what she has found.
Well hardly surprising given the interests of the committee members she listed. Disgusting really and outrageous that decent health advice gets held back from the public for business or political reasons.
Hannah Sutter should be congratulated on trying to expose the power wielded by the food industry and the disastrous consequences on the general public's health.
Caroline thank you for posting the link & this information. It continues to worry me that the NHS,The Diabetic Association & various slimming organisations continue to promote the eating of carbohydrate & low fat foods, although some consideration is given to complex carbohydrates & the standard eat 5 a day fruit & vegetables. My OH has Type 2 Diabetes & notices on fast days how well he feels & only needs to take 1/2 his medication because his insulin levels are also of course much reduced. He has recently had his bloods checked & everything looks much better now thanks to including in his diet butter, coconut oil, olive oil & a lower level of complex carbohydrates. Oh & he is losing weight & his supportive Diabetes Nurse is pleased with his results.
This so called expert body with their linked food & pharmacology company interests is a shameful farce.
Gosh, that's actually quite scary. So no-one really knows the effects yet... or if they do, they're not letting on because they don't make their "sponsors" or employers look good. So difficult to study... I know I wouldn't want to deliberately eat in the category that might put me in the heart attack risk section.... who would? So then how do they compare and contrast? Difficult area. Now I'm questioning everything I've read on the 'net.... how do we know WHO to believe????
how disgusting!!!!!! Just goes to show that we have to become responsible for our nutritional education at the end of the day.. Problem is that the wider nation has followed govt guidelines for an eternity, how do you undo all of that, how can people access correct information when they've never needed to do it for themselves before? it's a massive injustice if you ask me!!
Thanks Caroline while no surprises it is shameful. It goes to show we just need to not be like sheep and follow any mass indoctrination from any sector be that commercial, political or vested interests but be strong, savvy and our own best advocates when it comes to our own health and that of those we have care and have concern for
@chichi13 I had to really look closely at your avatar to figure that the cat was stuck head first in the Christmas tree. My cat when my back was turned yesterday had climbed into the dishwasher which I had open and the drawer was fully out. Talk about curious cats .. A tad off topic sorry
gillymary wrote: @chichi13 I had to really look closely at your avatar to figure that the cat was stuck head first in the Christmas tree. My cat when my back was turned yesterday had climbed into the dishwasher which I had open and the drawer was fully out. Talk about curious cats .. A tad off topic sorry

They will insist on getting themselves into tricky places won't they! One of mine can't resist playing with the tree.. Naughty thing.. It's most annoying when i'm in bed because I can't stop her and that results in carnage!!
Just like the US, the fox is in charge of the chicken coop!
chichi13 wrote:
gillymary wrote: @chichi13 I had to really look closely at your avatar to figure that the cat was stuck head first in the Christmas tree. My cat when my back was turned yesterday had climbed into the dishwasher which I had open and the drawer was fully out. Talk about curious cats .. A tad off topic sorry

They will insist on getting themselves into tricky places won't they! One of mine can't resist playing with the tree.. Naughty thing.. It's most annoying when i'm in bed because I can't stop her and that results in carnage!!

Still off topic. My cats first Christmas tree this year. He was quick to get the hang of what it is all about my placing a dead mouse under it as a gift :shock:
Thanks for posting that link, Caroline. Fascinating article and a shocking (although sadly not surprising) state of affairs.
rawkaren wrote: My cats first Christmas tree this year. He was quick to get the hang of what it is all about my placing a dead mouse under it as a gift :shock:
:rotfl:

That's awesome! LOL! I'm so glad my cats don't have access to presents for me :-)

I sometimes get annoyed by how much bother a tree is, until I get it up and see how very much my cats love it

Oh yeah, back to the topic at hand - yes, there are starting to be fewer and fewer differences between the US and UK, eh? I always think that Europe has such a better handle on food issues than we do, until I read things like this.
rawkaren wrote:
chichi13 wrote:

Still off topic. My cats first Christmas tree this year. He was quick to get the hang of what it is all about my placing a dead mouse under it as a gift :shock:

Hahahahaaaaaaaaa omg! That made me laugh out loud on the bus! Early Christmas pressie for Mum! Bless..
15 posts Page 1 of 1