The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

24 posts Page 2 of 2
Great reply @jools7! I just remembered a study I saw in which they checked the blood sugar of people (with normal glucose tolerance so not diabetic) who experienced symptoms of hypoglycaemia when fasting, during a fast and found that when they experienced symptoms, their blood sugar level was only slightly down, so they concluded that for these folk, they seem to be a bit more sensitive to changes in blood sugar but they need not worry that their blood sugar is doing dangerously low.

Here's the findings:
During the fast, the sensitive group reported significantly higher scores on 'irritation' and 'shakiness'. However, no hypoglycemia occurred and the lowest detected blood glucose concentration was 3.7 mmol/l. There were no differences between the groups in plasma glucose, cortisol, growth hormone (GH), insulin, beta-hydroxybutyrate (beta-OH) and lactate levels. The blood pressures and heart rates were also similar.
CONCLUSIONS:
Adults, despite subjective signs of hypoglycemia, can fast without any metabolic or endocrine derangement.

oh, yes, I like that, Caroline, I do think that any quite subtle variation in blood sugar, up or down, can make me feel subjectively quite different, even if the number is still in the normal range.
lizzieh wrote: Poor you! :frown:
I only once had something like this ... I was in a pub, and I had the same idea of it being blood sugar, but there was nothing sweet available so I had a bag of crisps and the salt content seemed to settle me down and the feeling went away. So maybe electrolytes issue rather than blood sugar as such?

As far as I am aware crisps = potato chips. Potato is starch, a source of sugar. Also a lot of potato chips have sugar in the flavouring (depends on the flavour you need to check the ingredients).

So grabbing a packet of potato chips when you need something sweet, you have (to your body) eaten something "sweet" more precisely eaten something with carbohydrates.

Hths.
Thanks again everyone. Jools - I'm happy to give it a go! Tomorrow is next fast day, & I'm going to try & space out the calories throughout the day rather than save them all up till the evening. Caffeine intake is just about the same; I don't drink coffee (ever), just weak Earl Grey & Barley Cup (which, like bananas, I think is loaded with potassium). I do normally drink wine but lay off on fast days. I could prob cope at home with it, but the thought of driving or being somewhere public is really scary. Stress hormones - Mmm, that's an interesting one. I have in the dim & distant past had really bad panic attacks, but not for years. I've learnt to recognise the 'beginning to hyperventilate' symptoms & can generally start breathing properly & it all subsides. Will keep you all informed - thanks again!
Hi there

Just seen this and wondered how you've been getting on today? I occasionally feel a bit funny on a fast day - it was definitely more pronounced when I first started 8 months ago but it does happen from time to time. I don't know much about the science but like others have found that a bit of salt can help perk me up, especially if I've been drinking lots and been on the loo half the morning! I have just had a mug of marigold bouillon and it was so tasty, just like a good soup and now I feel great. My blood pressure has occasionally tended to be on the low side so it could account for feeling a bit spaced out from time to time, especially if I've been sat still at work for a while.

I used to also sleep like a log after a fast day - sadly this has now changed and I feel totally wired for a while when I get in bed and then often wake up feeling quite groggy.

Hope you've had a good day!
Umm spaced out yesterday on a 20:4 fasting session but was out and about town and didn't have my miso. First one of those in a while. It is weirdly feeling
Thanks so much for all the replies everyone - they really are much appreciated. I did another fast day yesterday & was fine all day - I did as planned & spread out the calories a bit. I'm used to feeling a bit shaky on those days - (did about 4 months of 5-2 last year & generally felt a lot better for it). Stupidly I got out of the routine when I left my job & have only just 'hopped back on' this month. Last year I got really bad palpitations occasionally on fast days (again, lasted for hours) so maybe I'm just a wee bit sensitive to the disruption. Will definitely try & work through it this time. I gained half a stone in the months off.
Glad that you're feeling better with fasting Kimster. :victory:
I appreciate you bringing this up @Kimster, as I was just tolerating the spacey feelings.
I did notice that pushing against the natural impulse to just stay still helped, as I went for a walk for the first time on a fast day. I think it may have helped the spacey feeling.
I've only done 5 fasts so I'm hoping it will improve, but the responses here have helped dispel some of my theories including blood sugar. I think I'm sensitive to sugar level shifts...and the stress hormones are very high for me on fast days.

I'm glad you've gotten on top of your panic attacks, they are terrifying, and I'm glad you sought great support here.
Cheers
Jo :like: :clover: :clover:
24 posts Page 2 of 2