The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

10 posts Page 1 of 1
It's very strange. I am a bit if a carb addict and love bread. I suppose I have cut down massively since the beginning of January but I have had toast a couple of times this week and both times it has left me with indigestion and sunk like a stone in my stomach. I am still up about 2.5lb on last Friday's weight (admittedly I failed my fast on Sunday - I finished on 544 but that was net calories so doesn't count) and haven't fasted again this week for various reasons but I feel really bloated and Blugh. I have just had a bowl of porridge today as I feel full up. Weird. :frown: has anyone else found their tolerance to bread has got all weird?
It happens to me every time I try to eat bread now (which occasionally I do) or anything with refined white floor in it.....I avoid it if I can, but sometimes you just can't say 'no'!
Toast is just the nicest thing in the world! I think I will have to say no if it's going to make me feel like this though. Whole meal bread just isn't the same!
:cry: I haven't eaten bread for about 5 months. I was beginning to suspect it as the cause of the awful wind and bloating I got. Anyway there I was sitting in front of a delicious Greek salad with a length of baguette and butter. So I thought, in order to eat the butter I will have the thinnest sliver of baguette. Oh how I wished I hadn't! I'm now learning a lot from the low carb high fat forums and am plucking up courage to try butter in coffee. Oh wholemeal toast and marmalade RIP
Oh god, how awful not to be able to touch it at all!
Snap! This happened to me a while back so I read up and decided to exclude gluten in all it's many forms and disguises, I recommend this to you. I am much improved since doing this, even enjoy making my own soda bread with gluten free flour, almond flour and milled flaxseed. Sometimes I cheat and buy gluten free rolls in Sainsburys, purveyors of too many GF goodies containing sugar that I now try REALLY HARD to avoid! There is a helpful website called marksdailyapple with much friendly information too.
Good luck and happy tummies :0)
I think my problem is the yeast, I don't get the same effects from flour in batter, pastry etc. People have told me that they get bloated eating bread at home but are fine when holidaying in Greece and so forth. I could try sourdough but I'm not that fussed really. Gluten free is a good way to go, as is wheatfree. I may work my way slowly into that.
Yes, same feeling. Sour dough, dark rye is ok but only one thin slice. Plain pasta and white rice have the same effect.
Huge sympathy for all you sufferers! :hugright: It's not nice when you are denied your treats.

As a breadmaking tutor, I'm always being asked for GF recipes. In response to this I've put a post on my blog which encompasses all I can think of in the GF line - including recipes and links.

Coincidentally, I made a GF loaf today, using Wessex GF bread flour. I'm just about to post my results on the blog, but I thought I'd come on the forum first to see what's occurring, and found this thread!

I've just had a slice of the bread, with a bit of jam and it's passable, I reckon. I have a GF friend who I'll be seeing tomorrow, so I'll pass the loaf on to her - plus a couple of GF soda breads I made earlier and are in the freezer, ATM.

The recipe and pics should be up on the blog shortly:

http://nobreadisanisland.blogspot.co.uk/2011/02/gluten-free-breads-and-baking.html
@izzy I have been wondering about trying the einkorn flour...think I might do so on your recommendation! I've used spelt but have trouble getting it to work properly in the bread maker. How does einkorn perform compared with standard flour and spelt flour?
10 posts Page 1 of 1