The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

3 posts Page 1 of 1
Quoted from Mark's Daily Apple blog:-

As everyone and their grandmothers know, I strongly advise a meat and fish eating diet for the most complete nutrition. That said, I know that vegetarians won’t die of protein deprivation. However, they need to make more of a concerted effort to get the full “family” of amino acid building blocks. There are 22 amino acids that the human body uses to manufacture muscle and other vital tissue. Together, these 22 are essential for the body’s repair and regeneration needs. For vegetarians, getting enough of all 22 amino acids generally entails consuming more protein-containing carbohydrates and more calories to get the full amount of necessary protein.

Whey is probably your best quality source of protein. Studies have shown that milk proteins (whey being one) are especially beneficial (and more effective than soy) for muscle growth. A whey-protein shake once or twice a day can offer what I call “protein insurance.” I’d suggest 40 grams a day.

As a fish-eater but not meat or fowl I do struggle to get enough protein some days, 60g being recommended for my stats. Any thoughts folks?
Milk (and so whey protein) will promote muscle growth as that is what milk is designed to do for young animals (promote growth). However, promoting growth (or specifically, IGF-1 and other growth factors) is what we are trying to avoid in order to reduce cancer risk by fasting. There is some research showing that milk promotes IGF-1 production and IGF-1 is associated with cancer risk. Taking whey protein would seem to me to counteract some of the benefits of fasting.

However, in your case, if you are not reaching the 0.8g protein per kg bodyweight (and I presume that means ideal bodyweight), then for you perhaps it is a good idea.

If I were in your situation, though, I think I might eat more cheese on feast days. I wouldn't worry about not eating enough protein on fast days: 2 days in 7 with lower protein shouldn't be a problem IMO.

I can dig out the research about IGF-1 and milk if you like, but I'm about to toddle off to bed in a minute!
Bless you Caroline, my Voice of Reason, and your response set me wondering if fermented milk products e.g. Yogurt and cheese, are perhaps no longer IGF-1 dangerous?
I'm also toying with ditching bread, wheat in general perhaps, but don't want to make life miserable or preposterously difficult. I love Rak*sen's matzos, low calorie but still wheat though, and not always a clever replacement.
Any thoughts?
Many thanks honey.
3 posts Page 1 of 1