The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

16 posts Page 1 of 2
While I have given up table sugar I do dabble with artificial sweetners. is there anyone type that's better for you?
Hi Cuz, ive heard that Stevia is the only one thats ok..but someone more clued up than me will probably be able to give you better info x
I think the general consensus is that stevia is the best. I tried it and didn't really like it for some reason. I use sucralose. It is the same as glucose with something in the molecule subtly altered so we don't absorb it so I don't see it can be that harmful. I also drink diet drinks. I have not experienced the insulin surge I have heard talked about following artificial sweeteners and can think of no physiological reason why it should occur.
( Light blue touch paper and stand back........)
I feel this has been quite a contentious issue in the past - just waiting for a response :wink:
I love stevia! Make sure you read the "related" article about stevia on the link provided by izzy. And do try different brands...my very favorite is from Trader Joes.
I really wish I had paid more attention to the news report but a while ago I heard that because artificial sweeteners have no calories it confuses you body which is expecting those calories and can cause you to eat more. I could have that a bit wrong do know it was the lack of calorie that was the problem.
I try to avoid them but will have a hot choc most nights that contain them. I tried stevia but didn't like it.
Make sure you buy pure stevia, as many products contain nasties that can cause bad tummy ache and more, like erythritol for example, which is a sugar alcohol.

I have used xylitol, also a poly alcohol. It tastes better than stevia. I can't comment on its benefits, but I do know that it can help improve dental health but I don't know why.
My sons friend is growing stevia so I could get it in its pure state, not sure what it even looks like.
I have gone from equal to splenda to now Stevia in the raw in packets. I like it just fine. I'm sure it would be better to learn to live without it altogether, but I just haven't been able to do that. I put it in my tea and iced tea. I also drink the occasional diet soda. I have never found that sweetener has made me hungrier or crave real sweets more. In fact I find a diet soda very filling and seems to satisfy my sweet tooth!
Wineoclock wrote: My sons friend is growing stevia so I could get it in its pure state, not sure what it even looks like.

Stevia is a herb isn't it? It looks like a bush of majoram or oregano, the leaves are maybe a bit bigger. They are nice eaten, and I got some thinking that a tea of fresh mint and fresh stevia would be delicious. Unfortunately the ducks and chooks got to it before it really established itself. Must remember to buy another plant!
I am still using 'Splenda' in coffee (I can go without sweetness in everything else, but not coffee)...I tried Stevia but I just didn't like it. I shall just have to trust that 'Splenda' won't kill me off!!!!! :bugeyes: I haven't found that having a sweetener makes me crave sweet food either.
@wineoclock i read that too about the body getting confused by artificial sweeteners.
I try to avoid sugarfree sweets and gum coz apart from Stevia,ive read they are linked to cancer. But i must admit,at times a sugar free sweet helps...
They never made me want to eat more either. Butter always makes me want more though.
My hubby uses Canderel sweeteners as he is type 1 diabetic.

We have tested his blood sugars after consuming the sweetners in coffee/ tea and have never witnessed a rise. He also agrees that they do not make him crave sugar. Although he would probably kill for real sugar in his brew! :razz:

I find all sweeteners have a slight bitterness but I hardly ever have them as sodas make me burp like Barney out of the Simpson's!
16 posts Page 1 of 2