The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

4 posts Page 1 of 1
Or should I just continue with 5:2 when I hit goal weight and simply eat more than 500 cals?

Is there any research regarding the health benefits of fasting just one day a week?
I am not sure if enough research has been done yet. I know of three people who do it purely for health reasons as they don't need to lose weight. One is a Med student and has looked into it and he's adamant 6:1 has health benefits.
Bssh wrote: Or should I just continue with 5:2 when I hit goal weight and simply eat more than 500 cals?

Is there any research regarding the health benefits of fasting just one day a week?

5:2 represent a 21% total calorie reduction per week. 6:1 is an 11% reduction.

And the methodology for maintenance eventually becomes everyone's final challenge.

Page 83 of the Fast Diet book suggests going under your target a bit then moving to 6:1 "to reap anti ageing benefits" while you monitor your weight. There's no obvious reference on this particular page to a study backing that up but the implications are there in the rest of the book.

Several low carb books recommend tapering to a new-normal eating regimen by first adding fat to stop the weight loss; then to carefully reintroduce carbohydrates in small amounts to see how well they are tolerated. Typical suggestions are to start this process when you've around 10 pounds (4.5kg) left to lose.

The one thing you can't do is go back to your old way of eating. That's a recipe for putting all of the weight right back on.
See the study I mentioned in the thread asking about weight maintenance. Once a month fasting appeared to decrease the risk of diabetes.
4 posts Page 1 of 1