The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

35 posts Page 1 of 3
His revised book will be coming out in January 2015, and I'm definitely buying it.

I'm really interested in the latest research on fasting, and it will be interesting to read any new information on fasting in general.

Anyone else going to buy it? I found it on amazon when I was searching for 5:2 fasting books, and I'll pre-order soon.
Hmmm what new information will be added I wonder?
From the very little I have read about fasting, there is very little evidence about the long term health benefits to fasts as it is a relatively new diet. I would be interested in finding out about this. What nuggets of info did you gleam from the first book?
Hmmm in my experience, " revised" books are often pretty much a rehash of the original
I bought the original and didnt readit coz i learnt everything and continue to learn on this forum
I doubt i' ll buy this book - perhaps i can borrow it from the library to see if there's any new evidence on the health benefits of fasting x
I haven't bought the first one so probably not.
Prob not. Didn't buy or read the first one (borrowed it from my BIL) joined this forum and the rest as they say is............history. :victory:
I didn't get the original book until relatively recently - I've gleaned most of the info I've needed from this forum so no, I probably won't bother with it either.
No, saw the TV prog; read the original version. You can learn from the hundreds of members on this forum a wide range of experiences, advice and theories on all types of IF. Not supporting the bandwagon.
Wow, the responses are really interesting - I guess I just like books about fasting! I thought there'd be more interest in his book.

What did I glean from the first one, as someone asked? Basically, how to fast, the science behind fasting and I really enjoyed the interviews with the various fasting researchers out there. I also love reading about people's personal experiences with fasting, and liked reading about how Michael and Mimi did it.

I own several books on 5:2 fasting, and yeah, that second one is definitely mine.
I saw the documentary and read the first edition. I'd say they were helpful, definitely, especially when understanding the theory behind the approach. It's good to read a book like that when getting started, I'd say, and even better if there's some evidence-based content to help back up what is going on. I agree that the shared knowledge on this site has been more practically useful for me going forward, however.

There would have to be some significant new content for me to actually buy the second edition, however, as I imagine if I'm still succeeding by January then I'll have the forum and my own self-discipline to thank for my progress! Any positive evidence that comes out of the book will likely be widely shared in the media and elsewhere to help plug the book anyway. :)
I think that it is very unlikely that I will buy the new book. I did buy the original when I found it at a greatly reduced price in a remaindered book shop. I don't think that there will be anything to add to what I have come across on here and elsewhere.
I think that there is a little bit of money chasing going on.
I won't buy it. Didn't buy or read the first one (got everything I needed from this forum, and other IF sites). Tbh, can't imagine ever buying a book on diet or self help or anything like that. I might page through it at the library, but that would be about it.
The science in his first edition was so sloppy, I would have ignored the diet had a friend not had such good results. It was only when I realized that the effect 5:2 has on calories is enough to explain all its effects that I got excited by it.

So I wouldn't rush out to buy the new edition. There hasn't been any significant new research into this kind of intermittant fasting since his other book was written, and the very tiny studies cited here and there are usually very small, very small, and not of much use to those of us who have been doing this for a while.

We simply have no way of knowing the things we'd like to know. It took a few decades until there was interest enough to fund studies of low fat diets and low carb diets. When they were funded, these big studies disproved most of what doctors thought they knew and most of what small, short studies had come up with. That is because a diet that lasts more than six months is a completely different thing from one lasting a few days or weeks.

You will learn far, far more from the posts from people here who have been doing the diet for long periods of time, both those doing well and those who aren't, than you will from any book written by a media-savvy doctor.

And since Moseley isn't a practicing doctor and appears, from what I read in his first edition, to be almost painfully ignorant both about diet and things like blood sugar health, he is probably the last person to write the book we need to read.
If you want to know the latest fasting research, do a pubmed search. Or follow a reputable blog, like Well (NY Times) or weighty matters. You don't need to buy MMs new book for that. I have to say, though, I am curious what will change. Isn't he being forced to take all of Varady's research out?
I didnt know there was one coming out. Bit soon i thought but he must have something to say
35 posts Page 1 of 3