The FastDay Forum

5:2 Diet 'Rules' & Variations

7 posts Page 1 of 1
Sugar free drinks.
28 Jan 2013, 09:28
I am worried about drinking sugar free squashes and diet drinks incase this causes problems with insulin levels. Does anybody know whether they are okay to drink, or does the body treat them the same as sugared drinks.
Thanks. :roll:
Re: Sugar free drinks.
28 Jan 2013, 10:01
Hi Elefvee

Many people are drinking sugar-free diet drinks on fast days. They are not specifically forbidden but Dr M has said he is against the idea. I am not sure how much scientific research has been done on how the body treats these drinks and much of the research that has been done has been sponsored by the soft-drinks industry!

In my opinion, it is worth trying to avoid/cut down on them because a) we don't know what the effect on the body actually is and b) they are expensive! However, having said that, if I found they helped me get through the fast day, I would not worry about having them, just maybe consider whether I could cut a couple out?
28 Jan 2013, 10:04
Having read several scientific papers I conclude that artificial sweeteners do not disturb the blood glucose / insulin balance. Some papers find a small insulin response

"The American Dietetic Association (renamed the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics in 2012) concluded in a 2010 review that, in general, NNS do not affect glycemic response (do not raise postmeal glucose response or have a negligible inherent effect on glycemic response) in people with diabetes mellitus. "

from http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/35/8/1798.full
28 Jan 2013, 12:27
I find that they do help me get through the fast day but limit myself to 2 diet drinks & 2 sugar free squashes per fast period. Not keen on tea/coffee without milk, so the rest of the day drink water and herbal tea
28 Jan 2013, 12:46
I think your approach is best fireflylady! It is hard for people who don't like tea/coffee or water to know what to drink.
28 Jan 2013, 13:41
Thank you very much for your replies. I shall be starting this tomorrow...hopefully having Tuesdays and Fridays as my fast days..and I really didn't want to mess up any good days with drinking sugar free drinks if they were going to be a problem.
28 Jan 2013, 14:26
I'm trying to avoid diet drinks as a visit to my dentist recently I discovered that I have thin enamel on my teeth. She asked if I drank fizzy drinks and I told her only diet, never full sugar ones, and she said that the citric acid in diet drinks is actually worse for tooth enamel than sugar!

I now limit myself to half a glass of diet coke (or diet whatever I fancy) every night and drink it through a straw as my dentist recommended.
7 posts Page 1 of 1