The FastDay Forum

5:2 Diet 'Rules' & Variations

7 posts Page 1 of 1
Helloooo!

Last week I attempted 2 days of the full day/500 calorie fast… and didn't do very well! Perhaps I simply need more willpower, but both days I wound up caving to a craving and consuming between 700-800 calories. My weak moment seems to be salty carbs at the mid-late afternoon part of the day.

The week before, my first fast I did was 2pm to 2pm and I easily did it on 350 calories. I found when I woke up, seeing the fast out until 2pm seemed easy. And it was. And I really enjoyed it. It didn't seem anywhere near as frustrating as the attempts I've had at 36 hours.

I think the problem is that I do cardio & weights at the gym, each weekday, at about midday. So I feel like I need a good healthy breakfast BEFORE my workout. Or a good lunch to look forward to, afterwards. At least, that's what I'm feeling my body is trying to tell me anyway.

Mum [MullumGirl] has been reading these discussions & tells me there are a couple of people doing the 24 hour version. I've been trying to get a chance to do some reading & get into the support spirit of this great little community… but with a 2yo, 4yo & 10yo, plus a partner who isn't home for 14 hours/day, finding the time has been eluding me…

SO… is there any guidelines to the 24 hour version?! A smaller calorie allowance recommendation? Or is it supposed to be a COMPLETE fast, eating nothing for that period?! Or, if there's anyone who is doing it this way, I would LOOOOOVE to please hear what has been working for you?

Thank you muchly! :) x

P.S. also, I actually saw a small increase on the scales this morning, from my weigh in last week… so I'm feeling my failed fast days last week were definitely not my friend! I'm not freaking out too much about it, as I've actually lost a couple of kgs since the start of the year anyway, just from dietary changes that I made & am sticking to. But it would just be nice to get this fasting working for myself too :)
Hi there

I think to have any chance of weight loss it has to be a compete fast. If you do the maths of eating 500 cals between 2 and 2 plus the food before 2pm on day 1 and after 2pm on day 2 plus eating normally on the other days, it is likely you won't be calorie restricting at all. I think you would have to calorie count for both days to be sure you were not over eating.

I would try to stick with the standard method of doing the diet if you can. The first fasts are really tough but they get very much easier. There is also evidence that exercising while fasting is particularly good for fat loss and body sculpting. Google Brad Pilon!

The other thing is to eat only protein and veggies on fast days as it fills you up much better. Also try to avoid high carb foods the night before a fast.

Why not try one more week before trying 2 till 2?
I'd agree with the above. Give it more of a go, does take a bit of adjustment.

The alternative is what I do, which is calorie-restrict less but have more fast days.
If it doesn't agree with you, maybe look at the other methods of alternative fasting, like the 16:8 where you just have an 8 hour feeding window to fit your life.

Although while apparently quite good for weight loss I don't think it has the other health benefits that the 5:2 diet has.

Maybe give it another go? Try snacking on some salad items or veggies when your body is trying to get you to have carbs in the afternoon.
For me, the best way to get through the days that feel more tricky than the average, is a change in the mindset. Start to relish the hungry feeling, not because you are a masochist, but because it is precisely that feeling of hunger that the whole thing is about. It shouldnt be a "i need to eat now" flag, it should be a "this 5:2 is doing its magic on me right now, i feel it working and that feels good".

As Horizon said, the brain feels hungry, the brains works hard trying to think how to get food, the brain has a good workout and thus you stay mentally younger for longer (a nice fringe benefit alongside weight loss, if that is one of your more primary goals).

So, if you wish to try the standard 36 hr period 5:2 again, you have a couple of options, i would think. The hunger avoidance method of low cal food snacks through the day (veg etc) with plenty of water as frequently as possible (literally carry a 2 litre pop bottle full of water around with you, works for me! :p). Or, the total abstinance method, dont eat anything till the evening meal. Enjoy the hunger feeling (or progress, as i like to think of it). You will find a hunger pang that isnt sated soon goes away naturally in any event.

See what works for you, and after a few days of success, you will look back on your previous struggles with the full 36 and wonder what it was all about.

as a slight caveat, i do full work outs every day, regardless of fasting, both resistance and cardio, your mind telling you that this is a bad idea when fasting (or impossible when fasting) is just your brain doing its thing - working hard to get food into your mouth. Ignore it, you know better than your brain! :)

Good luck, and i hope you can make it work for you.
I do Zumba for an hour on most fasting days, and haven't felt dizzy or light headed yet.
I actually feel better and more energized than when I eat before the class.
I totally agree with all of the above. You really need to do a full day of fasting to reap all the health benefits, but you can spread out your 500 calories throughout the day - perhaps trying 250 in the morning and 250 in the evening.

It is hard but fill up with calorie free drinks and if you need a salty 'fix' then try a beef stock/bovrill type of drink.

I am on my second week of fasting and today have done 2 x 2hrs of dog walks and 1 hr of pilates. I find the busier I am, the better I am and feel. I really like the feeling of hunger as I feel like I'm controlling my eating, not my eating controlling me (as it's always been for the past 20 years or so).

I urge you to keep going and you really will see/feel all the health benefits.
7 posts Page 1 of 1