The FastDay Forum

Benefits & Side Effects

5 posts Page 1 of 1
Bleeds and Blotches
09 Feb 2014, 14:02
hi all, I have been using the contraceptive implant for over 5 years and never suffered from a bleed since having it inserted however, this last 2 weeks ive had not a bleed as such but a constant presence of the dark older blood you sometimes get. (tmi sorry ) Its not heavy or anything its just there I have also broke out in hives on the top of my chest and have been given antihistamines and cream for the pharmacist. I don't know if this is because a change of hormones or my body or down to fasting. I have read thru some older threads about this just wondered if anyone has had anything like this.

Caroline
Re: Bleeds and Blotches
09 Feb 2014, 14:07
Is the implant 5 years old? If so it could be coming to the end of its useful life.
09 Feb 2014, 14:12
Hi Julieathome
No this currant one is only 2 years old so its not that.
09 Feb 2014, 15:09
Fat tissue contains large amounts of oestrogen, as you lose fat the oestrogen is released which can cause changes in your monthly cycle. There was a thread about it way back: benefits-side-effects-f28/topic2517.html

And here's a scientific paper about weight loss and oestrogen: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22614972
10 Feb 2014, 10:38
Whenever you get a "midcycle" (I realise in your case it is not a midcycle bleed per se) bleed it never hurts to go to your physician and have a check up. Just to be sure.
5 posts Page 1 of 1