The FastDay Forum

Benefits & Side Effects

5 posts Page 1 of 1
Blood pressure problems
29 Jun 2014, 13:42
Hi all I was wondering of someone could help me out. Before I started to lose weight I had my blood pressure taken and the doctor said it was the high end of normal, not massively high but enough that he wanted to put me on a monitor and test me. Anyway, last week I went to my doctor and he took my blood pressure to check if it was okay for my meds and he said it was really good now. Now the past few months I have noticed something, every time I stand up from lying down, or crouching down I get really severe head-rushes, I get awful pressure in my head, my vision goes black with stars but it lasts for a few seconds and then it's gone. During the week it happened at work and my vision went completely black and my knees went weak and I thought I was going to pass out. I have noticed it's since I started fasting and I'm wondering if maybe it's making my blood pressure drop too low.... Has anyone else experienced anything similar and if so, what was the cause/treatment?

Thanks for reading
Xx
Re: Blood pressure problems
29 Jun 2014, 14:01
Hi,
Chances are your blood pressure is dropping too low for a few seconds when you stand up - it is quite normal in some people to get a 'postural drop' when they stand up (ie their bp drops on standing). The fact you had your BP checked by your doctor recently and it was fine then is a good thing, as too high blood pressure can also cause similar symptoms on standing. It's probably happening because as your weight has dropped, so has your blood pressure - I take tablets for mine and now often have a similar thing when I stand - sometimes I have felt quite faint and then it goes.
29 Jun 2014, 14:20
Hi buddie @daydreamer21
I have suffered those symptoms but they were pre fasting mine turned out to be vertigo and my treatment was strangely enough antihistamines I now keep them on hand to use as + when needed.
Apparently over the counter travel sickness tablets work just as well, you've done a brilliant job Sammy and if you've got real concerns return to your GP.
Take care of yourself not long for your summer break.
:clover: :clover: :clover: :clover:
29 Jun 2014, 14:57
It has happened to me for most of my life when I get up from bending down- not always but especially if I have not been bending at the knees-the 'correct' way- I've never seen anyone about it and I guess if I am still OK after all these years it isn't important in my case.
29 Jun 2014, 15:07
From the "The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook" by Clair Davies, on page 240:

"If you tend to get light-headed when you get up from a seated position, try shifting
your weight from foot to foot for a few seconds as soon as you're on your feet, at about the
speed of your normal walking rhythm. This gets your soleus blood pumps going and moves
oxygen to your brain at a faster rate. After sporting events or exercise, quick recovery of
breath and energy can be accomplished by this same means: indeed, after any strong exer-
tion, alternately contracting the calf muscles keeps the blood flowing strongly up from the
legs and through the whole system at the very time the tissues need that extra boost. Sol-
diers standing at attention for long periods have been known to pass out because of the pro-
longed inactivity in their soleus muscles. When they've had good training, they know how
to prevent this by rhythmically contracting and relaxing their calves."

HTH
5 posts Page 1 of 1