The FastDay Forum

Benefits & Side Effects

10 posts Page 1 of 1
Feeling cold!!! on fast days.
30 Jul 2013, 13:29
Hi everybody, although I am new here I started fasting at the end of August 2012 a few weeks after the Horizon programme. After years of slow weight gain (I am 52), I had given up hope that I would ever be able to shift the surplus weight I had accumulated. However with this way of fasting I managed to almost reach my goal weight by Christmas, when I paused for the festivities (and severe cold). In January I just could not get back into fasting as I felt so very very cold on the fast days even though I only consumed hot stocks and soups. I decided to wait for warmer weather before I resumed on 1st June. (England had such a long winter) I had gained a few pounds since Christmas but managed to losed them again and have now reached my goal weight. The recent spell of hot weather (in England) has helped me a great deal and I had no problems with fasting. This week I start on maintenance fasting and desperately want to keep it up for health reasons. Bad circulation runs in my family. Has anybody else got similar issues?
Ieramul
Welcome to the forums!!

Getting cold on fast days seems to be a fairly common complaint. I know this past winter, I spent my fast days usually curled up with a mug of herbal tea or chicken broth, and I don't have any circulation issues.

I think it's just a common side effect.

Since you're only going to be on maintenance for the winter, if full-on fasting is too hard, perhaps you could do 16:8 a few days a week? That's where you fast for 16 hours and then eat for 8. So basically, it's skipping breakfast and not eating too late after dinner. Maybe that would be the winter trick for you?
Hi,
Yes, I was surprised to find myself getting cold. I'm almost never cold, and I enjoy winter, so I was surprised to be needing an extra sweater on fast days. Of course, now it's so hot I can barely remember that feeling.
Thank you Tracieknits and nycnyc, yes, I will try and find a way to cope with it. I will take your advise on board. Since the problem is worse in the evening when relaxing, early bedtime might help, too.

Sorry, I just noticed another thread on this subject which I will read with interest.
I was wondering whether it was just me as I read somewhere (on this blog?) that you'd feel hot as you are burning fat. Or is this taking this too literal? Our Spring has just started so can't wait to start feeling like eating salads again. For now it's soups and herbal tea.
I'm feeling cold every time I fast, doesn't matter what the weather is like outside. I take an extra warm cardy with to work and then in the evenings I'll wrap up in a fleece blanket or now that the weather is getting colder the fire will be going on soon.
I get cold in the evenings on my fast days. I'm a cold person anyway - and having lost three stone as we're coming into winter, I fear there really is no hope for me! :confused:

Feeling cold is one of the symptoms of ketosis - which means that the body has swapped to burning fat rather than carbs so I try to view it positively on my fast days. Sadly, like yourself I also have poor circulation, meaning that my hands and feet generally get cold in October and don't thaw until April :cool: I also have a problem where one or two of my fingertips go completely white cold and I lose the feeling in them. I guess it is a form of Raynauds, although thankfully I don't experience any pain when the heat comes back.

Mind you, I started running this year, for the first time in my 50-year life, so maybe THAT will be giving my circulation a boost.... who knows!!!
I was cold yesterday (fast day) and all I can was hurray! Being a woman of a "certain age" I consider it a blessing be be able to feel chilled of at times :smile: I just hate laying in bed feeling uncomfortable warm....throwing to covers of and on.
But alas, we are no all alike :wink:
Domane wrote: Feeling cold is one of the symptoms of ketosis - which means that the body has swapped to burning fat rather than carbs so I try to view it positively on my fast days. !!!

Sounds good to me as I'm always cold when fasting. :grin:
I am comforted by being cold it tells me my fasting is having an effect on my body, as said already cardi up but it is interesting that food must be the fuel that keeps our body stoked and from that we are warmer. Or my body is missing the layer of fat I have shed
10 posts Page 1 of 1