The FastDay Forum

Benefits & Side Effects

29 posts Page 1 of 2
OK sorry if people are eating their lunch but this is bothering me somewhat.
As some of you saw, on Friday I overate quite a lot - pie, dessert and beer (not things I eat on a regular basis) and was then on the toilet most of the afternoon 'clearing out'.
On Saturday I felt fine again and have proceeded to eat normally the past few days, with a fast day yesterday.
But I haven't been for a number 2 since Friday (it's now midday Tuesday!) I don't feel like I need to go but surely this isn't right?! I've had 3 litres of liquid every day and a pretty balanced diet with most days including 4/5 portions of fruit and/or vege.
Does this happen to anyone else?
Lil :heart:
TBH, I have been all over the place since I restarted fasting (well, not literally anyway as it isn't very polite in public!). One day, nothing, next, well who knows? I drink heaps, and have been taking metamucil as well to help with fibre intake.
So yes, it does seem to and there are a few other threads from the past on the subject. If you aren't feeling uncomfortable it probably isn't a problem at this stage but you could consider taking something. I always find a strong coffee moves things along, or maybe some prunes. Mm, love prunes!
That sort of thing happens to me maybe every couple of weeks. I had a sluggish digestion system before starting this WOE and low carb. Basically, I have a long transit time, if you know what I mean. So, occasionally I will eat something that doesn't agree with me or maybe it is some sort of an intolerance or something, IDK, but anyway I will go and go and go. Then, it will be a few days with no go. It is like my system was completely emptied and then it fills back up before resuming to my normal every non-fast day schedule. I have no idea if it is normal for others; but it happens to me often enough. The only time I get more concerned is if I start to feel backed up, full, upset stomach, excessive gas, straining to go, etc. But, this usually is not what happens...usually it just takes a while to go through the plumbing but everything comes out okay in the end. ;)

ETA: I am also hypothyroid and constipation and slow bowels are fairly common with an underactive thyroid.
search for threads with constipated or bloated in the title and you will get some tips on how to deal with this. For me, it hasn't happened often, and it's always sort of resolved itself...
Don't worry, 4 days is "nothing"
For me, sometimes I stay nearly 1 week without anything and sometimes it's 3 times in the same day... :cool:

My "sister" had some times where she didn't go for a month so, you see, 4 days is not so bad... :wink:
Just echoing what others have said - it seems to be quite a common problem among fasters and there's loads of info on other related threads.

Quick thought - I've recently discovered glycerine suppositories (commonly available in pharmacies in the UK). If you're reluctant to take laxatives, as I am, this seems to be an effective way to have a clear-out. I find it acts really quickly and I get none of the cramping I associate with laxatives.
Jesus, Manderley, a month? :shock:
Yes, a month. But, excuse my French, it goes perfectly with the kind of person she is. We have an expression here, not a really nice one, so I won't dare say it but it was made especially for her. :mean:
Kiwi fruit are good. You can buy lactalose over the counter which is good. I'm a proponent of the theory that treatment should go in the same direction as you are hoping for, ie I'm not sure about suppositories. Not that I need these things. I'm more the too often type, especially the day after a fast. How odd.
Some people swear by Physilim husks, others by bran. But generally the fasting can upset your usual rhythm, but it settles down into a different rhythm eventually.
Dozen prunes can be most effective. Also eating a banana a day.. Also standing up for the first hour of your day sipping a glass of water. Strange but true!
I sympathise, Lilsmiler. This always affects me when I go on holiday - most uncomfortable feeling , sometimes for several days . Occasionally happens on 5:2 as well though usually resolves itself in 2-3 days.

I now keep a supply of Ortis Fruit&Fibre chewable cubes handy ( available in Boots or Superdrug ) ; I find they're gentle on the system , not unpleasant to take , and produce the desired result !!!!

Good luck !
I've not had this problem at all, but I often wonder if my regularity can be put down to a daily (well, feed daily) dose of bio yogurt.

Good luck my dear, hope it, er... passes... soon!
Or probiotic yogurt, it usually works for me (Activia, for ex)

I forgot about it but since I take a tsp of apple cider vinegar, it's much more "regular". Apple cider vinegar does wonder, it's a natural laxative (forgot about it this morning....)
Manderley wrote: Or probiotic yogurt, it usually works for me (Activia, for ex)

I forgot about it but since I take a tsp of apple cider vinegar, it's much more "regular". Apple cider vinegar does wonder, it's a natural laxative (forgot about it this morning....)

Apple cider vinegar for me too :like:
29 posts Page 1 of 2