The FastDay Forum

Benefits & Side Effects

14 posts Page 1 of 1
I noticed that on fastdays I really need to control my temper. I get agitated very quickly, tend to speak louder and faster and sometimes behave like a ferocious cat. Is this common? Is there something to do about it, apart from eating?
Yes, I used to be like that at first...it did pass eventually but took a bit longer than the headaches etc to resolve.
Think there must be something wrong with me because I've not had any side effects at all in fact quite the opposite I've been happier
and it shows I know my motivation is still as high as it was on day one :heart: :heart: :heart:
I'm actually still on a bit of a High and loving it :clover: Sue. :clover:
It gets better. Stick with it dahling
Oops I'm in week 31, fast 52 (no longer an average of 2 fasts per week because I've been a mainteneer for quite a few weeks now) I still fast once per week because (a) it helps to keep my weight level & (b) it keeps me healthy & makes me feel good ......... but ......... I DO know that I have to temper my moods on a fast day.

The difference now is that I know that I'm tetchy (understatement!) so I control it.

It hasn't got any better at all for me, it's just that I know know & recognise it, so I compensate !!!!
Sounds like me on a good day! :razz:
Actually that will be my menopausal dwarf Grumpy, or is it Sniffly today?! I was like that at first too but I did a 36 hour liquid fast yesterday with no problems whatsoever, stick with it!! :heart:
I'd reckon you're looking at a combination of additional energy, which fasting seems to create, and tension, which is common in the first few weeks/ months. I, and a lot of others got stiff jaws at first. It passes as you adapt to 5:2 and longer periods without food.

Reading and participating in this forum is a great release. Everyone is so friendly it's infectious! You're doing great so keep at it and remember to reward yourself - watch something you enjoy on tv, have a hot drink, take some time to lie down and daydream or do whatever you enjoy! Remember to think about and praise yourself for the success, and don't be too hard on yourself as you adapt!
Actually thank you Redhead, just found out that someone else has the stiff jaws as well, get it every fast day as I bite my mouth and wonder where my next meal comes from!
I found that I became not much fun to be around if I left my eating too late in the day. I have had to rein in my capacity to go without and have something to eat by 1pm or I spend the rest of the day grumpy and irritated by every little thing!
I found that too much coffee during the fast day makes me agitated - I now drink herbal tees and it helps.DH noticed right away! :grin:
Some fast days I still get grumpy and lethargic.
I think I am probably more snappy on a fasting day than any other. I don't mean to be but at the moment it does happen.
Wow, glad to read I am not alone!

@carorees, so there is hope!
@rawkaren, I won't quit!
@AnnieD, so there is fear...
@benchurki, I don't drink coffee at all, only herbal tea on fastdays, so there is nothing to gain for me on that side...

This is my 7th week of 5:2 and only my last two fasts I saved all my calories for dinner. I noticed my bad temper before, but it got certainly worse on those last two fastdays. On the other hand I find it quite interesting to see what fasting can do with your body and mind. Until now I keep faith that I will either get more relaxed on fastdays or learn to cope with it.

Tomorrow fastday it is!
Three fastdays of one meal a day further and I can say that some of you were right. I have lost most of my short temper on fastdays! I haven't snapped at anybody anymore the last two fasts! Most of the hunger has gone as well. Brilliant!
14 posts Page 1 of 1