The FastDay Forum

Benefits & Side Effects

21 posts Page 1 of 2
Hi everyone,

I am a recent convert to bulletproof coffee, but I've only been drinking it on non-fast days (because, darn it, butter and coconut oil have a lot of calories!). However, on the advice of my friend who is a staunch 16/8'er, who said that the fats do amazing things to the brain when the brain is in a fasted state, I had some this morning after not having eaten in 18 hours.

BAD THINGS have happened since! My stomach has been upset and I've had many bouts of diarrhea over the last 3 hours. Ugh. I am a bit nervous about getting dehydrated, to be honest!

I just broke my fast at 23 hours with a cup of soup because I was feeling so bad (jittery, shaky, upset stomach).

Do you think this is because of the bulletproof coffee? I suppose it could just be a random occurrence, but I wanted to throw it out there to see if anyone else had experienced something similar.

Thanks.
I have seen many write on here about tummy probs the day after a fast. I expect it may happen again. I personally have to be careful about the first thing I consume the day after a fast. I usually leave it till about 12 as I'm a 16.8er too. But it's nothing too heavy or rich, often poached eggs on a slice of thick white bread.
With such a violent reaction I wonder if it is something completely unrelated like norovirus
It is not uncommon to get those reaction if you are not used to that much fat, and the bulletproof coffe can be heavy even for people used to high fat intake. Try to gradually increase your fat intake to make your stomach ready for that coffe :)
Sorry, I did not see first that you are in fact used to bulletproof coffe.
Sorry, have I missed something? What's bullet proof coffee?

Bean :confused:
nursebean wrote: Sorry, have I missed something? What's bullet proof coffee?

Coffe with butter and coconut oil. Popular amongst low carbers, especially before exersice, as it gives a lot of energy.
cyan wrote:
nursebean wrote: Sorry, have I missed something? What's bullet proof coffee?

Coffe with butter and coconut oil. Popular amongst low carbers, especially before exersice, as it gives a lot of energy.

Mmmmm. I have thought about trying, but am not sure it's something I could pallet, coffee with cream yes, at a push. But it seems that many swear by it, so it must be great.
I know carie i want to try it but cant quite get my head round it and am not a great coffee drinker anyway..but like you say,so many peeps swear by it, ive got curious! X
Just not on an empty stomach!

;-)
I do not drink the bulletproof coffe, but I do use coconut oil and cream in my coffe (not on fast days), and it tastes really good.
:heart: Hope you're feeling a little better @Melinda_in_NC

I'm with @carieoates and that troublemaker@CandiceMarie on this one I don't like the sound of it at all probably because I do always take my tea+coffee black thick and strong!! Keep threatening to make my sister one as she loves her coffee with cream. I know@rawkaren won't start her day without one but for me never say never but unlikely :shock:
Feeling a bit better since I ate, but I'm still tired and shaky. My boss told me to go home as I was looking pale, but I didn't listen to her as it would mean I'd have to take two trips instead of one (because I have to pick my kids up from school). So maybe @Lil is right and it didn't have anything to do with the coffee. Knocking on wood that I'm not getting sick, however!

So--when I make the bulletproof coffee, I put one tsp of butter (you are supposed to use fancy coffee and grass-fed butter, but I'm just using what I have until I run out!) and 1 tsp of coconut oil into a mixing cup. I brew my coffee, then I pour it into the mixing cup. The butter and oil melt. And I use my stick blender to froth it all up. It ends up tasting way more delicious than you could ever imagine.
Hi Melinda. @gillymary and I are the bulletproof people. Ah yes it was highly likely to be your drink. MCT oils (coconut) can have that effect. Here are the rules.

1. Start off with small quantities of oil and build up over time. Cut back to half of what you had and try again (maybe on a weekend :lol: )
2.Warm the oil first (so your drink stays hot)
3. Drink it slow

As you already know, it is delicious and I look forward to mine.

Some more help here http://paleohacks.com/questions/163165/ ... mfort.html
Thank you, Karen. I guess I'm just puzzled because this is the first time it's had this effect on me (I've had it maybe 5-8 times previous to this morning). The ONLY difference is that I drank it on an empty stomach. I usually drink it on a non-fast day (after having eaten my breakfast).

To change gears a bit, do you only drink bulletproof coffee on non-fast days, or do you ever have it on a fast day? I don't think I'll be doing it again on a fast day, if only to save calories.

Thanks again.

Melinda
21 posts Page 1 of 2