The FastDay Forum

Benefits & Side Effects

7 posts Page 1 of 1
HEALTH BENEFITS NOT WEIGHT LOSS
21 Jan 2013, 11:22
I'm trying the diet for the long-term health benefits, not weight loss. I'm a 56 year old woman, currently in good health, happy with my weight and get ample exercise. Can anyone give me any advice or their own experiences please?
Welcome to the forum, littlesnitch!

There are some members here who don't need to lose weight. There seems to be several approaches to maintenance.

Dr Mosley just fasts one day a week.
Some people fast for around 24 hours (as it is the long break from food that is thought to bring many health benefits) and then eat a normal (i.e. not calorie restricted) dinner. I know that Dr Mark Mattson who was in the Horizon programme does this several days a week for maintenance.
Some people follow the 2 days a week with 500 cals and then try to make up for the deficit on the feed days. Personally, I think that might be quite hard to do.

I think you are best starting with the standard model and seeing if you start to lose weight and if you do then to try one of the modifications above.

Hopefully someone who is actually already doing this will be along to give you some personal experience!
Thanks Caroline! I admit I'll probably fare better eating just 500 cals for one day, will that have the same benefits?
Dr Mosley says that his experts think, yes or at least nearly the same, but of course no one actually knows (or is likely to in the near future I'm afraid).
I read somewhere that people who fast for 12 hours then consume for 12 hours as a routine may get the same or some benefits. Clearly not research on it yet. So having an early evening meal then a late breakfast. I am going to look into this a bit more as this would suit me much better, once I drop in the normal BMI range. It's pretty close to what I did previously anyway.

I think this would be better for weight maintenance in the long run.

I've also read that exercise reduced IGF-1 levels so if you are active then you are at an advantage anyway. Think the drop in IGF-1 levels is short lived after exercise but if you exercise regularly then they will be repeatedly reduced. I don't know the specifics on it, I just read a short article on it.
Are you thinking of the Paleo diet or the 8 hour diet, Echo? It's quite popular in the US I believe. The principle is to have an 8 hour eating window each day. I'm sure Dr M said that one of his expert advisers does this.
Can't remember what it's called. Just read a snippet on it but going to look into it.
7 posts Page 1 of 1