The FastDay Forum

Benefits & Side Effects

36 posts Page 1 of 3
Itchy skin
17 Mar 2013, 22:34
Now I have no idea if this is weight loss related but my skin is terribly itchy, especially my lower legs...I also experienced this when I lost weight low carbing.

Anybody else experienced this?
Re: Itchy skin
17 Mar 2013, 22:39
That's interesting. Although I've always has eczema I've got it well under control but over the last couple of week's I've been really itchy.
17 Mar 2013, 22:48
Me too! Though I get dry skin in cold weather and it has been cold last few weeks so may be that. Been my tummy and back that itch though and that where I've losy weight. Usually get dry legs but they have been fine. Odd!
18 Mar 2013, 00:33
How bizarre! I have had a tiny bout of excema on my feet twice in my whole life yet lately my hands are covered and driving me crazy! My mum also on 5:2 who barely gets excema is also really suffering! Must be the diet but how strange and cant think why! Worth investigating!
18 Mar 2013, 12:07
Me too, was blaming the smellies I got for Xmas!
18 Mar 2013, 12:11
I read that eczema can be caused by vitamin deficiency and toxins. I would make sure you are taking a multivitamin and drinking lots of water :)
18 Mar 2013, 12:22
My head is itchy. I was thinking that my hat was the problem. Maybe it's the diet. wierd
18 Mar 2013, 12:24
I drink lots of water and have been taking a vitamin
18 Mar 2013, 12:27
I did weightwatchers a few years ago and lost about 15kg over about four or five months and I got dry itchy skin on my arms, legs and abdomen. Nobody had any idea why but I am convinced it's something to do with weightloss. I just try to keep using lots of good body lotion or body butter. I'll see if Mr Google has any explanation!
18 Mar 2013, 20:24
I have been experiencing an itchy area on the right hand side of my torso. Really weird.
18 Mar 2013, 20:41
Me too with itchy back and tummy!
I had come up with 5 different theories, none of which was the diet.
How very odd.
18 Mar 2013, 20:46
Me too, itchy lower legs and also blamed birthday smellies but stopped using them and still itchy, I agree with the carbs reduction although havd no scientific answer!! I have been using Soap & Glory Hand Food which I use for psoriasis, seems to work
18 Mar 2013, 20:54
I have found Weleda body lotion is very effective though frighteningly expensive! It's softened my hard heels in 3 days. I think the bees wax in it is key and may help with itchyness?
18 Mar 2013, 22:57
This is not a problem that I have encountered and I have absolutely no medical background but I wondered if you may have cut right back on fats and oils in your diet and that this may be the cause of the itching? Just a thought!

I have started to use small amounts of real butter and olive oil, rather than low cal substitutes, because I understand from some of the posts on here that it may be healthier (and they are delicious!). Who knows?
18 Mar 2013, 23:03
According to a quick google search. Itchy skin is accompanied by weight loss and visa versa so I guess we can take comfort in the fact it's working and have a good scratch!

See below for what to do from livestrong.com

If you've lost weight and are annoyed by itchy skin, you are not alone. If your weight loss was intentional, the solution may be as simple as adjusting your nutrient intake. If your weight loss was not, the combination could indicate a health condition. Always consult a health care provider for proper diagnosis if you have itchy skin that accompanies weight loss.
TYPES
If you are following a weight-loss plan, make sure you are getting enough iron. Iron deficiency can cause a mild, generalized itching. In this condition, your body doesn't have enough healthy red blood cells, which bring oxygen to your body's tissues. Iron supplements may help, but some people don't tolerate these well. You need to check with a doctor before trying one, advises Medline Plus. Foods that contain iron include meats, whole-grain bread, raisins, eggs, legumes and fish. A vitamin B2 deficiency also can cause itchy skin. Vitamin B2 also is called riboflavin. It's found in eggs, dark green veggies and whole and enriched grain products, according to "100 Questions and Answers About Sports Nutrition and Exercise," by Lilah Al-Masri and Simon Bartlett.
36 posts Page 1 of 3