The FastDay Forum

Benefits & Side Effects

10 posts Page 1 of 1
One of the reasons I started this way of eating was because my cholesterol (as well as other markers) was high side of normal. I heard today from my surgery that recent blood tests show that my cholesterol levels have gone up. I have been asked to make a routine appointment to see my GP.

I am very disapointed because, although only a month into 5:2 at the time of testing, I was hoping for a slight reduction.

However I don't know the breakdown (or indeed the overall reading) yet and I will ask about that when I see him.

I had my blood tests done on a Tuesday morning, the day after a Monday fast. I wonder if that had anything to do with it.
That does seem disappointing at first glance, however see Caroline's earlier post on this:
carorees wrote: During a fast your cholesterol levels go up as the fat is released from stores and circulates round your body to be used for energy as you are not eating. Once you get used to fasting, your body switches into fat burning very easily so you will likely have higher cholesterol levels after an overnight fast that someone who never fasts. My tip for getting cholesterol readings that are comparable with a non-faster is to make sure you have your bloods taken after a feed day and not to have more than say 8-12 hours since your last meal before the bloods is taken.
So I think we can say that your result was probably skewed because of the previous day fasting. Next time do as C advises and fingers crossed the results should be better.

P.S. I found C's post by searching the forum for 'cholesterol'...
Thank you dominic. That is reassuring. I should have done a search before posting :oops:
Pleased to be of service. :smile:
An increase in total cholesterol is meaningless without specific numbers, and even with those numbers it's far from clear that we need to be as concerned as we have been led to believe.

Everyone, including most doctors, should read http://www.ravnskov.nu/cholesterol.htm, and Dr. Ravnskov's books. He is no crank, as you can see from his page describing his credentials and qualifications. There are plenty of knowledgeable physicians and scientists who are highly skeptical of the "received" views on cholesterol, but at the level of the average GP you'd never know it.
Ubizmo wrote: An increase in total cholesterol is meaningless without specific numbers, and even with those numbers it's far from clear that we need to be as concerned as we have been led to believe.

Everyone, including most doctors, should read http://www.ravnskov.nu/cholesterol.htm, and Dr. Ravnskov's books. He is no crank, as you can see from his page describing his credentials and qualifications. There are plenty of knowledgeable physicians and scientists who are highly skeptical of the "received" views on cholesterol, but at the level of the average GP you'd never know it.

There seem to be even larger numbers knowledgeable physicians with equally impressive credentials who do not agree with Ravnskov and his "cholesterol sceptics".
http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/index.php/the-international-network-of-cholesterol-skeptics/#more-22
The total cholesterol to HDL ratio is considered a much more important indicator of cardiovascular risk than total cholesterol. A ratio of under 3.5 is ideal. PhilT found a good diagram showing risk according to total:HDL ratio and blood pressure, which he posted here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1526&start=15#p11874
I started the 5:2 eating pattern after a cholesterol test showed that my overall level had reached 7.2 and the doctor was talking about the possibility of medication. I heard about 5:2 at about that time and after being on it for 6 weeks the overall cholesterol level has dropped to 6.4. I'll continue with it to see what happens longer term, and also check the HDL/LDL details.
Could someone tell me if these are OK please? As you might imagine, the advice I have had is to reduce my LDL still further, yet I think the ratio seems ok to me. Thank you so much

Current
Total 6.9mmol/l
LDL 3.5
HDL 3.0
(Ratio 2.3) hope I have calculated that right.
Tryglycerides 0.8

Glucose 4.9mmol/l

Previous (bearing in mind I was 10lb's LIGHTER than now):
LDL 4.1
HDL 2.3
Ratio 2.9
Tryglycerides 0.9
The ratio between your LDL & HDL has improved Karen and your triglycerides have gone down a touche too...It's the LDL and triglyceride concentration that you want to reduce as much as possible and that's going in the right direction. Some might say that your total has increased, but it's the 'good' HDL that's gone up which is brilliant.
Most cholesterol tests done in the UK don't test for the different types of LDL either, or your levels of VLDL. If they're light and fluffy it's good apparently but the test you did doesn't show that, which is a pity.
10 posts Page 1 of 1