The FastDay Forum

Benefits & Side Effects

25 posts Page 1 of 2
Acne problem.
26 Mar 2013, 15:57
I have only been on diet (or lifestyle change) for three weeks. I have had a huge amount of increased acne this week. Would that be from toxins trying to escape or just a coincidence?

I am 46 and rarely have acne unless I binge on sugar which I obviously have not been doing.
Re: Acne problem.
26 Mar 2013, 16:06
Hi Mommy2288 and welcome to the forums!

I think the acne thing may be related to hormonal changes as various ladies have reported changes in their monthly cycle as well as acne. Fat tissue stores oestrogen and so burning up fat releases oestrogen which could increase the acne. Fasting also involves temporary higher levels of fats circulating in the body (on their way to be used to supply energy) and this might also affect the skin.

I think it will go away again once your body gets into the rhythm of fasting.
26 Mar 2013, 16:10
I agree with Carorees but in the meantime you could take some vitamins E and A. They help a lot!!!
26 Mar 2013, 16:18
Thanks.....seemed like it had to be related but hoping once it "cleared" I would be past it.
23 Apr 2013, 22:36
I woke up this morning with acne across my chin. I am 53 and never really had any acne, so it was quite an unpleasant surprise. But one I can live with if it is an indicator that I am releasing fat!
14 May 2013, 14:40
I've also suddenly got much more acne than usual, and on my chin which is very unusual for me. I'm hoping it's because I'm 'purging' as Americans say, and my skin will be nice and clear afterwards! Has anyone else's acne cleared up by now?
14 May 2013, 16:47
I was hoping my skin would have improved on the diet but sadly it hasn't. I'm 57 and have been plagued by some persistent spots for a few months now. I'm sure it's hormone related so Caroline's comments about oestrogen are interesting. I've always had poor skin - I had truly dreadful acne in my teens but I had hoped by now that it would have settled. Can anyone recommend any good spot creams that don't act like paint stripper on a mature skin?
14 May 2013, 17:04
Hi Jed - sorry to hear about the acne problem, and that it's not cleared, even though you've been on the diet a while. Like you, I have had skin problems, including acne and rosacea, most of my life, and am now 55. Most recently I had persistent low level spots over my face for months ... In the end what got rid was a month's course of tetracycline from my GP. Now I know that not everyone likes to go on these, but frankly I have not resorted to this too frequently over the past few years, but this time was at my wit's end: thankfully it worked. If you do not want to go down the systemic route, you could ask to try a topical cream - I have used finacea or metronydozole (but they may be just for rosacea)
I would say, go and talk to your GP. I think all of us suffering from skin problems put up with a lot, and are often in denial about how much it affects us. We only find out once things improve, and we feel so much better. Good luck and let us know how you get on. :clover: :clover:
14 May 2013, 17:52
I took tetracycline for a long period in my teens - I'm nervous of going down that route again as I'm not sure it's good for my digestion. However I do need to talk to my doc about giving up my hrt (which I had hoped would help my skin but it hasn't) so I may ask him about it. I know there are a lot of things in life worse than bad skin but it does get me down sometimes. If I could put in an order for improved body parts it would be for good skin and nice feet! I have discovered Clinique bb cream though - brilliant for evening out the blotchy complexion. I'll check my various tubes of cream in the bathroom cabinet and see if they are the ones you have mentioned.
17 May 2013, 09:47
I was hoping that fasting would help clear up my spots. I am 32 and have had what I think must be hormonal acne for pretty much most of my adult life. Not always awful, just always at least one spot 'on the go' - either arriving, in full swing or scarring. I'd hoped that as I got older it would clear, but I'm dismayed to see older ladies still struggling - how can it be fair to have spots and wrinkles at the same time!! Not that any of you ladies are wrinkly I'm sure, but it's rather depressing.

Also depressing that maybe fasting won't help clear my skin. There seemed to be some indication in the book, even just anecdotally, that it would. Tried many things in vain so not surprised if yet another thing doesn't work!
17 May 2013, 15:52
I think you are definitely right about the link between hormones and spots green monster. It does seem that some people are more prone than others. I took the contraceptive pill for a few years and my skin was definitely better. My skin is not nearly so oily now but I am still getting these spots. I had a chat to the doc yesterday and have started taking a tetracycline - something I haven't done since my teens. I laughed at your comment about spots and wrinkles. People used to tell me as I had oily skin I wouldn't get wrinkles - what lies! Mind you I had ultra violet treatment for my acne - this was before they realised how much damage it did to your skin. There's something to be said for the outfits the Muslim ladies wear - it's that or a brown paper bag!
17 May 2013, 17:40
Jed - fingers crossed with the tetracycline, it can take a while though. No one wants to take things unnecessarily, but if it's getting you down, then that's enough. Sounds like you have a sympathetic doctor which is great, not always the case.
Greenmonster, much sympathy. i know just what it's like to have 'one on the go- either arriving, in full swing, or scarring' - I can only recommend the same as for Jed, go and have a word with your GP. You are much younger than us, and it's worth getting your skin condition managed, (or cleared up if you're very lucky) while you're still young,as it can have such an effect on a person.
Good luck to you both - would be interested to know how you both get on.
17 May 2013, 19:58
Thanks for the support silver darling. I must admit this thread spurred me into action so I'll certainly let you know how I get on. I also decided to come off hrt so I might end up with great skin and the return of the night sweats!
17 May 2013, 20:07
I'm a bit spotty today, been doing this 19 weeks tho so don't think it's related to the diet

Apparently sudocreme works wonders for spots and it used over night by a lot of Hollywood A listers so maybe worth a try on the nasty ones. May try it tonight.
17 May 2013, 20:17
Jed - well that is one area where I have been dealt an ace :victory: have suffered no bad symptoms since last period 5 years ago (but did go out with a bang- it was, believe it or not, on my 50th birthday, had v heavy and sudden flow, coupled with food poisoning, due to seafood :bugeyes: so was feeling very poorly, had to leave table at my birthday dinner in Italy :frown: :cry: ).

But since then, no postmenopausal symptoms of any kind :victory: :victory:

However, still get occasional skin problems :frown: and I guess the gradual weight gain -especially round the waist- can be put down to being postmenopausal. But hearing about and seeing what others go through, that is one area where I feel the gods have smiled upon me.

I do hope that coming off HRT will not be a problem for you re skin or any other effect. Your dr must be fairly confident about it being an ok thing for you to do, hope it works out.
25 posts Page 1 of 2