The FastDay Forum

Benefits & Side Effects

67 posts Page 2 of 5
Re: Bowel Habit Change
08 Apr 2013, 16:25
Has anyone tried psyllium(sp) husk tablets? I'm asking because I am having some difficulty too and I have ordered some of these tablets. Wonder if anyone has tried them and have they worked?
08 Apr 2013, 16:35
Same here Virginia! I can only agree with "rabbit droppings" or "sheep droppings" on a good day!
08 Apr 2013, 18:00
Since staring 5:2 I do not move the day after fast days. I doesn't leave me constipated and I just put it down to having less food in my system.
08 Apr 2013, 19:12
Used psyllium husk capsules for a while. They make a modest difference, I used up the jar I bought and haven't got any more. My wife didn't like the effect they had on her (whatever it was !).
08 Apr 2013, 19:56
Psyllium is in my future plans!
08 Apr 2013, 20:31
I'll give them a try then and hope they help...even a little help would be welcome at this point. Thanks PhilT :)
08 Apr 2013, 20:40
I've definitely noticed a change, particularly the day after a fast. I've never suffered from constipation before and this isn't terrible just a bit annoying.
08 Apr 2013, 20:46
I'm the opposite, I've become more regular since starting. I was already dealing with constipation issues before but after I had my gallbladder removed it got worse. Now this last month the day after a fast my body decides to clean out nicely.
09 Apr 2013, 06:10
Benefiber (sic) is a soluble fibre additive - ASDA usually sell 3 for a tenner. You can dissolve it in hot drinks etc. Inulin is a similar fibre product that can be added to foods or dissolved in drinks.
09 Apr 2013, 06:19
PhilT wrote: Used psyllium husk capsules for a while. They make a modest difference, I used up the jar I bought and haven't got any more. My wife didn't like the effect they had on her (whatever it was !).

Thank you PhilT, I'll add them to my H&B order :smile:

I've always struggled with constipation, I have an extra-long bowel. It's no worse on 5:2 and may in fact be marginally better about once a week, but I do so dislike the bran & prunes that I eat most mornings (that have little effect) so I'll give that a go.
10 Apr 2013, 08:56
PhilT wrote: Personally I think the bacterial content varies a lot as a function of the food, and this is more significant than fibre content on frequency etc.

Phil, Having tried nearly everything I have recently started taking Actimel which has really helped me - that would seem pertinent to your comment about bacterial content
21 Jul 2013, 05:57
I'd be interested in an update from the posters on here. Any change?

I miss my daily productivity. I don't think I'm stopped up, just a big change from previous habits.
21 Jul 2013, 07:56
Years ago I used to go to an older woman for colonic irrigation when I had bowel problems - she sorted me out beautifully. She also said if u eat 3 meals a day u should poo 3x a day or u are constipated. I am lucky being a vegetarian, I am seriously regular, but I usually eat at least 2 to 4 cups of veg per day and also porridge (at the moment). Used to use psyllium husks (not caps) shake in a jar of water and drink quickly, b4 it sets - this was to keep me full during dieting periods - works for both fullness and 'going'. I also take Inner Health + daily and I swear by this for gut problems. I come from a family of women with constipation and bowel issues (I remember my mother, her sisters and my grandmother all rabbiting on about it when I was a child)...I'm sure that because I'm a vego I have circumvented these problems.
21 Jul 2013, 09:18
I find instead of going too much due to food intolerances prior 5:2 I now have a more 'normal' stool. So it has been an improvement for me. I have always thought wheat doesn't suit me, now have hardly any bread but loads of veggies, beans on fast days and try to catch up on cheese and yoghurt on feed days.

That massive fluid shift must account for people being constipated don't you think as some times the wees are huge
21 Jul 2013, 09:35
Whilst most people have one or maybe two bowel movements a day I have never been this regular and often go 2-3 days. However, because I am eating lost of vegetables (no other starchy items such as bread, pasta or rice) I no longer have the rabbit droppings but a specimen the doctor would be delighted with.

With regards to fluid output I also find the output nearly measures the intake (I often have to take measurements for medical reasons) and this is great news for me because prior to starting 5:2 in April my output was about 1/5 of my input. Even though I pop to the toilet just before I go to bed I nearly always have to get up in the night!
67 posts Page 2 of 5