The FastDay Forum

Benefits & Side Effects

67 posts Page 3 of 5
Re: Bowel Habit Change
21 Jul 2013, 09:48
I used to suffer with constipation before starting 5:2, I would often not go for 2 or 3 days as some other posters have said. Since 5:2 I am much more regular, small amounts but no constipation. I keep a selection of reading material in the toilet but now I don't have the time to read it!!! :lol:
21 Jul 2013, 09:50
Ok, update - 3 months later...! (Wow, I can hardly believe it's been 5 months since I started 5:2)

My bowel movements have settled down to a new regular pattern. I don't 'go' on the day after fasting, but other than that am now fairly regular. I've learned to accept this as normal these days.

I reached my target weight about 6 weeks ago and have, since then, only done a 500cal fast once a week, but also have a very careful day (probably 1000 - 1200 calories, though I don't count them.) Despite having family to stay recently and pigging out for 12 days on the run, I've maintained my new weight. I feel healthier than I have for years!
21 Jul 2013, 10:47
A good curry can also have the desired effect :0)
21 Jul 2013, 11:13
5:24evr? wrote: I'd be interested in an update from the posters on here. Any change?

I miss my daily productivity. I don't think I'm stopped up, just a big change from previous habits.

No change to report. I have gone from regular (each AM) to irregular (but not uncomfortable) with some small motions.
21 Jul 2013, 14:35
I THOUGHT my bowel habits were always normal, but then pre 5:2 I started phyllium powder and discovered how consistent things can be. Does the stuff work? Yes. Increase slowly and drink plenty of water (I follow with a 2nd glass of water). It has some other benefits due to the soluble fiber (lipids, etc).

Now I drink it (plain stuff, no flavor os sweetener) 2x a day on non-fast days and 1x a day mid-morning on fast days (also makes you feel fuller, not a bad thing on a fast day). I have no issues.

Only thing to be aware of with psyllium is it has to be spaced away from any meds (before or after) since it interferes with their absorption.
21 Jul 2013, 14:45
My doctor recommends psyllium powder (known by the brand name Metamucil here in the US) as stabilizer for both constipation and the opposite--I often have a chronic problem that is helped a great deal by a daily dose. I can see where it would help fill up the stomach on fast days, too.
21 Jul 2013, 14:46
My doctor recommends psyllium powder (known by the brand name Metamucil here in the US) as stabilizer for both constipation and the opposite--I often have a chronic problem that is helped a great deal by a daily dose. "Loose bowels" in old age seems to run in my family.

I can see where it would help fill up the stomach on fast days, too.
21 Jul 2013, 14:54
I have wheat intolerance which results in IBS of the 'gangway I need a toilet NOW' variety with bloating and water retention. But since dropping bread and other wheat products on a regular basis I have rabbit poo's/ mild constipation the day after a fast and normal the rest of the time. For me, if a bout of constipation goes on too long I just have toast for breakfast, a massive sandwich for lunch and maybe some pasta for dinner. Sorted, but I can't leave the house.

Large doses of vitamin 'C' may also help stop the constipation.
21 Jul 2013, 15:19
Thanks, everyone. From the responses here it seems I have three options:
1. Live with it
2. Psyllium powder
3. Curry

Being in the US makes it more difficult than you lucky Brits to get a decent curry but I live in a town where it is possible.
21 Jul 2013, 16:41
I fell in love with lactulose. Haven't stopped since I started it and if I don't take it one day, I get constipation. If I want to be honest I'll say that period-wise and constipation-wise, 5:2 made me a lot worse.
21 Jul 2013, 16:51
I haven't really noticed any change - but I've only just completed week 1. I will pay more attention in the weeks that follow and get back to you :grin:
22 Jul 2013, 06:01
I used to be a once-every-10-days person (really!) - have been all my life so I kinda take it as weird but normal! Since 5:2 I'm about twice-a-week (usually the day after a fast) so that's a major improvement :)

However, I have to say that Psyllium husks made no difference whatsoever to me.
22 Jul 2013, 06:56
I have been reading through past topics on this forum over the weekend as I am seriously thinking of taking an over the counter product as I have been constipated a lot and this is now my 8th week. Before I used to 'go' every morning like clockwork and now my poor old tum feels huge and sluggish at times. Strange how it really affects how I feel mentally too. I also think it affects my scales showing no change when I have had 2 x 36 hour liquid only fast and 2 x 16:8 days.
I am going to buy the Linwoods Q10 product mentioned in an earlier thread to see how that works. I love coffee in the morning and that usually sorts me out.
23 Jul 2013, 06:08
Before 5:2 I could claim swiss clock precision after each meal, which I am told it is the way it should be since the act of eating starts peristalsis: pretty much like babies, they eat and they poop. 4 weeks into 5:2 I started skipping some "appointments" and feeling bloated. I am currently experimenting, but I found already that 1 Tbs of oat bran inserted somehow in the food (including on fast days) helps. I have also started preparing and drinking kefir. I believe it is the combination of the two that makes it for me. I prefer kefir to those ready made probiotic drinks (e.g. actimel) because I choose the milk (skim) and there is no added sugars.
23 Jul 2013, 07:10
I didn't buy the Linwoods Q10 from H&B, instead I bought lactulose as it was far cheaper. I added it to yoghurt. I also bought some liquorice, prune juice and dried prunes. All is well tummy wise, thank goodness. I have to factor the liquorice and prunes into my non-fasting days instead sticking to the lactulose unless things get bad again!
67 posts Page 3 of 5