The FastDay Forum

Benefits & Side Effects

49 posts Page 2 of 4
Re: Hair loss?
05 Dec 2013, 05:32
Thanks, I was looking through some old threads, and it seems most common amongst the 40+ group. I'm only 25 so its a little worrying. I eat very healthy and rarely eat sugar except for fruit. I also started taking B vitamins which is suppose to help.. I guess I'm just gonna have to wait and see if it gets better
05 Dec 2013, 08:59
Hi Annette, yes it is a bummer but as you rightly say, it's us older ladies who are suffering the most. I'm not sure whether it is just a normal part of the ageing process for us, which I suspect is the case a lot of the time, as I find it hard to believe that 5:2 can cause hair loss but I'm no expert. Taking a vit supplement is not a bad idea anyway so keep doing that and good luck,

Ballerina x :heart:
05 Dec 2013, 09:12
It might be that I'm just reading about grains at the moment, but you might find this interesting. www.glutenfreediva.com/2013/09/gluten-f ... nd-celiac/. She is a coeliac. I'm not suggesting you are, but maybe you have a gluten sensitivity. Ballerina, did you cut down on your carbs when you lost all of your weight?
05 Dec 2013, 09:27
Hi @Rawkaren, thanks for that link, that was very interesting. I have certainly cut back on carbs to a greater degree, particularly bread and potatoes. Rice and pasta have also been reduced considerably and sweet things have been seriously kicked into touch. I have recently started to take a zinc supplement as I understand that might help and I also take a muti vit which has vit b in it so we shall see. Oh, and I'm doing Azureblue's coconut oil trick as well but so far, no luck. I shall keep it all up but I still feel that it is more than likely age related for me and there is not a lot I can do about that but never one to give in without a fight I shall persevere,

06 Dec 2013, 09:25
Not sure where I've been for the last year but I've missed this subject matter. For many years I have gone through periods of hair loss. It was at its worst during both pregnancies. Following on from other topics I've been talking about with @rawkaren I have also just discovered that it is a symptom of coeliac disease (which my father has). It is also a symptom of stress, menopause/post menopause and a lack of the B vitimans. @Ballerina what is Azureblue's coconut trick. I'm too lazy to go searching for it!
06 Dec 2013, 09:36
I think there is only one thing to do with coconut oil. Eat it! Although it has a myriad of other uses too. It's antiflammatory and if you have a gluten sensitivity, it can only help.
06 Dec 2013, 09:37
:lol: :lol: @WildmissusIt's not as exciting as you might hope, she applies to her scalp once a week, leaves it for an hour and a half then shampoos as normal. She is quite convinced that it has made a HUGE difference and she now has thick glossy hair so I am now treading in her oily slick but I only leave it for 30 minutes. I googled 'hair loss and coconut oil' and there are loads of sites and they recommend leaving it for a minimum of 30 minutes.

Hope it works for you,

06 Dec 2013, 09:38
I have very long hair, nearly to my butt, and it's the time of year (well, it's nearly finished) when I lose some. A lot of them actually but it's a natural thing happening every year during the autumn season, especially when one has long hair, and I didn't see anything different this year in comparison to the years before.
06 Dec 2013, 09:41
:shock: This is becoming a big worry for me now :shock:
I have posted before that I'm losing hair and that I'm not regaining my now 50lbs weightloss, I said that I'd go
Wig shopping first deffo :shock: :shock:
I'm mid sixties so most people would say it's age related but why now? only in the last 4 months
( I'm nearly 8months into this WOL )
I had a full thick healthy head of hair when I began and can only put it down to the "diet" if I lost no more I'd be well happy because my "treat"for losing my 1st stone was a new shorter hair cut + style so I do like it as it is but don't want it to get any worse, so I'm living in hope but will get new blood tests done in the new year coz I believe a reduction in iron could be the cause which didn't show on my previous tests :clover: Sue
06 Dec 2013, 09:49
@Sue.Q , yes, like you I don't understand it, I lost a lot of hair when I hit the menopause, then again when I hit my 60's but at 66 I really thought those days were behind me but no, here we are again hoovering hairy carpets and sweeping hirsute tiles. My clothes now seem to have more hair on them than my head but at least I'm slim. My hairdresser tells me that I still have a good head of hair but when you've started out with LOADS then a normal amount just doesn't do it. :curse: :curse: :curse:

06 Dec 2013, 09:54
Sue, is it the first time you lose hair like this ? Like I say, I lose a lot of hair this time of year and it can be really impressive but it stops after a few weeks.

When I shampoo I add to it organic grapefruit seeds extract (a few drops) which helps to deal with it and makes my hair stronger, maybe you can give it a try
06 Dec 2013, 10:02
I was having problems with hair loss for a while but I found out (through trial and error) that it was more due to not sleeping well. Once I went back to a healthy sleep routine the problem settled down and within three months or so my hair was returning to normal.
06 Dec 2013, 10:11
06 Dec 2013, 10:13
:heart: yes ballerina my hoover is full of my hair and because it's a dyson its worse because you can see the results :shock:

Thanks Manderlay I will try anything but yes I've never had hair loss like this before, I haven't done the coconut oil yet because I use argon oil and like the results on my naturally wavy/curly hair but could switch that once each week :heart: :heart:
Thanks for all the tips everyone and will read
yours later Karen
Doing some pressie wrapping and cards now to keep me occupied on my semi fast day and home alone and I can get more jobs done when no one else is in the house
with me :clover: Sue :clover:
06 Dec 2013, 11:43
Found that using cheap supermarket shampoos and conditioners a problem.. much more tangling after shampooing and the conditioners leave the greasy feel after the buildup. Problem for years but before this 5:2 phase of my life and havent seen any difference with 5:2

Anyway years ago when i did have an issue I solved the problem with either

Moroccan oil or Moroccan Hydrating Mask as a conditioner left in for good 30 minutes
or (now)
Aldi brand (Protane) Moroccan argon oil

as good as each other though Aldi cheaper. I tend to use the Morocan one on "special occasions"

ps. dry hair with towel lightly before putting on the oil

shampoo can be a simple one but good one and lately been using either Aldi Protane one again (cheap) and Tea Tree oil shampoo from the supermarket but it leaves a clean, tingy feel after it. Use Protane first then followed by Tea Tree one.

Oh and i have long (blonde) hair.
49 posts Page 2 of 4