The FastDay Forum

Benefits & Side Effects

19 posts Page 1 of 2
Poor sleep on a fast day
11 Apr 2013, 11:37
I've done about four or five fast days now, and I always sleep poorly on the night of a fast day. I do eat at night, about 250-300 calories. Last night I had some lean meat and vegetables, so not a lot of carbs. ARe there any tricks to dealing with this? Does it go away after a while?
Re: Poor sleep on a fast day
11 Apr 2013, 11:43
Yes, it does ease so don't worry too much about it even though it can drive a girl to drink, just lying there all night tired as well as cold due fasting. The cold, if you are feeling it on a fast day, also gets better in time as your body gets used to the new regime.

Keep going, you will love it when you see the results and you will feel, and look, wonderful,

Ballerina x
11 Apr 2013, 11:45
It took a few weeks for my sleep to improve on fast days. I only eat at night now and that helps. I'm sure it will improve for you. Maybe save some calories for a hot drink before bed. Not coffee of course.
Well as I yawn it's sleepy time here. :sleepy:
11 Apr 2013, 11:45
It's quite common to have difficulty sleep in the early days of fasting but certainly does get easier. I've been doing this for 8 months now and only once in a while do I have trouble sleeping (and even then it may well be more down to the stresses of the day than the fact that I was fasting!).

Dr Mosley has this problem occasionally as I understand it and he suggests saving some calories for a small glass of milk before bed which should help to send you off :)
11 Apr 2013, 11:47
I suggest you save some calories for a glass of milk or a low cal hot chocolate before bedtime. I find I sleep really well on fast days but I have been doing this for a while now so my body has settled into this WOL. Stick with it, it does get easier.
11 Apr 2013, 11:48
Great minds think alike Wineoclock and Moogie!
11 Apr 2013, 12:06
I'm 3 months in and not having problems, well other than a bit of bowel slowness (prunes for lunch today) in any other aspect but I am taking ages to go to sleep on fast days.

It's co-incided with my change from ADF to 4:3, there's definitely a difference arising from the change of pattern. I was to be found eating oatcakes with cream cheese at 2 am this morning. (With my ahem, more flexible approach, I can be known to count a fast day ending at 12 am, my OH certainly does and tells me it's ok!)
11 Apr 2013, 16:34
I was actually kind of hot last night: it was the first really warm night here in Tennessee, and I had the window open and a fan on. Maybe the heat was also keeping me awake. Glad to hear that it gets better. I will save some calories for herb tea with cream before bed next time.
11 Apr 2013, 16:47
Hey shannonstoney - I am on my second fast day. My first was Tuesday - didn't sleep well Monday night maybe due to the fact I was watching the UofL/Michigan Game (Yay Cards!). Then last night I slept badly probably due to the iced tea I had for supper! Maybe I'll do better next time!
30 Apr 2013, 12:19
I have been having trouble with this as well. Yesterday was my 4th fast and for the first time I can say it was better. I hope it continues!
03 Oct 2013, 14:01
Oddly I've found that I either sleep much better than I did before starting this malarkey or much worse. I always sleep differently to the way I did before 5:2.
03 Oct 2013, 18:13
I'm afraid I often resort to a sleeping tablet on fast days. I know I shouldn't, but I hate lying awake with my tummy rumbling. My brain seems to not want to turn off on a fast night.
03 Oct 2013, 20:29
I sleep better on a fast day than a feed day... unless I've had a bit too much water, in which case I have to get out of bed every couple of hours to visit the loo. Which is not fun.
03 Oct 2013, 20:46
shannonstoney wrote: I've done about four or five fast days now, and I always sleep poorly on the night of a fast day. I do eat at night, about 250-300 calories. Last night I had some lean meat and vegetables, so not a lot of carbs. ARe there any tricks to dealing with this? Does it go away after a while?

For me,no.

It's a bit of problem in truth.

It's also a bit of hang over from working nights, a job (some of you know) I've just left. Several years of it and it's taking a long time to get out my system. An empty stomach, to, and I've got No chance.

I sometimes think there is also be a bit of the cave man instinct. ie if you are hungry your mind epects your body to be going out hunting.

I don't know...thoughts?

concl'n; often awake till 3/4 maybe 5 am on fast nights. Its a S of a B but it's part of the process.
03 Oct 2013, 20:48
soobidoobs wrote: I'm afraid I often resort to a sleeping tablet on fast days. I know I shouldn't, but I hate lying awake with my tummy rumbling. My brain seems to not want to turn off on a fast night.

nooooooooooooo!
19 posts Page 1 of 2