The FastDay Forum

Benefits & Side Effects

75 posts Page 1 of 5
Things I am noticing
30 May 2013, 17:38
I just thought I'd jot down some of the things I am noticing about my experiences of 5:2 as they are a mixture of good and bad side effects. And quite frankly I have no one else to talk to about it as only my husband knows I'm doing this and he gets enough of me blethering on about it. So I don't mind if no one reads it. I don't want to create a whole new journal but wanted to put down some thoughts.

1. Contrary to many people, I have generally not really been feeling all that good on fast days. I can stick to my calories ok, I just feel pretty rotten - tired, lethargic, low, irritable - oh yeah and HUNGRY. I tend to eat a small amount during the day (usually greek yogurt & berries) and then have a light dinner (favourite one so far is the chicken stir fry from the 5:2 - it's huge!) And having increased mental focus? Pah! I can't stay focussed on ANYTHING!

2. I thought I would have trouble sleeping on the evening of a fast day as I can be a pretty lousy sleeper at times. But I usually feel unbelievably shattered and sleep like a log (although often wake during the night for a huge wee!) - then when I wake up I feel like I've been asleep for days and it's only the thought of food that gets me out of bed.

3. The day after a fast, I feel very snacky. I don't always want huge portions (but then again sometimes I do) but I eat something, then a couple of hours later I want to eat again. These hunger pangs are usually more frequent than on fast days. I was never a huge snacker before 5:2.

4. I like the way my stomach feels flat the morning after a fast day, although when I eat again I notice my tummy suddenly feels & looks very rounded and huge. Didn't notice it doing this before starting 5:2.

5. The increased energy people talk about on fast days, comes for me on a feed day, after breakfast. Then, I feel AMAZING! Until I'm hungry again...

6. My jeans feel looser. Did I mention I like my flatter stomach?

7. I can't drink my coffee black - I tried but no. But suddenly the vanilla chai that I wasn't that keen on has become a favourite fast day drink.

8. Like lots of people, I feel COLD on fast days. But then again it's been a flippin cold May! Still using a hot water bottle at nights when the husband's away (his core temperature is hotter than the sun) - hope to not have to use this all year round!

9. I want to tell people about this way of eating but am weirdly reluctant. I think they will think I'm following another fad, or am developing an eating disorder, or I'll hear the phrase 'but you don't need to lose weight' again.

10. I have absolutely NO FOOD GUILT any more. Hooray!!! :victory:

Thanks if you've read this - maybe you have other things you've noticed, especially if they are different to other people's experiences.
Re: Things I am noticing
30 May 2013, 17:49
re: No. 9 I agree. I'm not talking about it unless someone asks. So far the only two people who've noticed that I've lost 13 pounds are two (gay) male friends! They were both interested in hearing about it and I sent them links to the video too. Other than that it's just my little secret.
30 May 2013, 18:06
One other thing that I have noticed is that I get a cramp in my right side when I go for my walk. I never used to get this before.

I am cranky too in the evening of my fast day. However I am so surprised that I am keeping it up. For a long time, over a year, I have not been able to even stick to a normal diet and here I am doing liquid fasts:confused:
30 May 2013, 18:12
I'm with you on No. 4 - the stomach/belly bloat - except I've always noticed it after eating, even before 5:2 - feel flat and pleased first thing after a fast . . then, next time its "back again!!!"

Probably need a tummy tuck but don't think I can afford it and hate surgery anyway !!!!! :wink:
30 May 2013, 18:14
No.2!! I have overslept practically every morning after a fast day. Now, I'm not the world's best 'getter upper' so this is baaaaad news for me. Having said a that it's half term this week and I'm off work but got up earlyish yesterday after my Tuesday fast...go figure eh! :)
30 May 2013, 18:15
Ha ha emsy - I think we have just commented on each other's posts! I've heard something about cramps possibly being caused by not getting enough fluids or maybe salt - I'm sureone will clarify. And agriessel, I think it's time to start wearing tighter clothes - how can people not notice 13 pounds, espcially with your 'normal' bmi! Maybe they're being polite...

Right I have to go out now but will be back later on!
30 May 2013, 19:17
I also have noticed some interesting things as I work through 5:2 plan.
For me telling people is not a problem because I tell them this is a lifestyle change. It doesn't have an end date for me.

Things that I have noticed about my fast:

1. I am losing inches in places where I have tried to reduce for years.
My upper arms are thinner. The pooch between my chest and arm on each side is going away. My ankles (which have never been very thin) are thinner. My back fat is shrinking...who would have thought.

2. I am struggling with constipation and I never had that issue before. On fast days I get it because I am just not eating that much, but it carries over to other days

3. The weight loss is sloooooow. I try to only weight once a week, but when I did that last time I had gained not lost even though my clothes fit better and I look thinner.

4. There are some days when I am really hungry on fast days. If it gets unbearable, I just eat something, I don't stress about it. I love that I am not controlled by what I eat, when I eat etc. etc. As you said in yor post "no food guilt". It's awesome.

That's all for now. My husband and I are doing this together which makes things a lot easier. Good luck to you! Thanks for sharing.

Elaine H.
30 May 2013, 19:24
greenmonster wrote: Ha ha emsy - I think we have just commented on each other's posts! I've heard something about cramps possibly being caused by not getting enough fluids or maybe salt - I'm sureone will clarify.

Yes we have greenmonster (love the name btw). You could be right about the liquid thing. I walk for an hour and pick up my son, so I dont drink for an hour and a half before, otherwise I need to go to the loo. I am probs dehydrating myself!! Thanks for that bit of info! :like:
30 May 2013, 19:34
My list:

1. My skin is better

2. I get tired and a bit woozy on a fast day if I haven't drunk enough. A mug of instant miso soup (20 cals) or some veg stock hits the spot. Also sampling a wider range of herbal teas - licorice provides a good sweet 'kick'.

3. Have only had one bout of insomnia but think that was down to drinking too much coffee during the day and in the evening.

4. I sleep like I'm in a coma generally on fast days and have trouble surfacing.

5. I get full more quickly. I binned half of my ice-cream cone last weekend because I'd 'had enough'. That was a first!

6. I can pull my jeans off without undoing them.

7. I don't find it difficult to cook for the rest of the family on fast days - which is a surprise as I thought it'd be torture.

8. I vary my fast days to fit around meals out and meetings with friends and no longer feel guilty if I order a pudding.

9. I've lost 8lbs in 2 weeks but have decided not to weigh myself for a month or longer as I don't want to be ruled by numbers or feel I am only doing this for weight loss.

10. Walking on fast days (2.5 miles at least) takes my mind off my hunger and actually raises my energy levels.
30 May 2013, 22:12
Nice lists guys! I'm looking forward to the days when I feel great on fast days - it was easier today than ever. No doubt the next fast will be torture again!

emsy - my name greenmonster is a reference to my love of green smoothies (smoothies with spinach & other good things in) and also my work in environmental education. Only the other day I realised it could be seen as a jealousy thing - it isn't!
30 May 2013, 22:17
I agree with EVERYTHING!!! Thank God it's quite warm now so I don't feel cold during the day but the nights still feel nippy...
30 May 2013, 22:20
Yes I'm just about to get the kettle on for my hot water bottle now... if I can only tear myself away from this darned computer...
30 May 2013, 22:33
Thanks for the fluid tip, I am terrible with drinking enough on fast days and often get leg cramps in the evenings, thought it was a salt thing but actually makes more sense to perhaps be lack of fluids! I know I avoid fluids a bit as have school run/stuff to do/gymnastics club to take my daughter to and can't afford to be desperate to spend a penny which is what happens to me as water washes straight through on fast days! Must address it though as leg cramps are miserable!
Other things I've noticed are that I have far more will power than I thought I had! I'm actually very proud to be sticking with this so rigidly. My skin looks better and I don't feel all puffed outwards any more. Bad points are definitely feeling the cold, that's the worst bit of a fast day for me. With the sleep thing I sleep brilliantly until 5am when I'm wide awake and sometimes feel a bit wired and full of too much energy, I should be harnessing this to start some sort of exercise but hasn't gone beyond a thought yet! I've recently found myself looking at exercise classes and gym memberships, have even been reading about strength training, this is not normal for me so obviously something about my mindset is changing. Not done more than thought and looked up though, I'm only changing very slowly, but it seems less unlikely now that I might do it!
31 May 2013, 05:39
Hi. I am new to this forum but have been doing 5:2 for 5 weeks.

I feel tired and find it hard to concentrate on fast days.

I find fasting hard if I am tired or stressed but otherwise it's fine.

I don't feel like over eating on non fast days and if anything I feel like eating less.

If I eat snacks through the fast day I feel hungrier so I just do the evening meal. I am also hoping that gives the body a longer rest and restore period.

I have been feeling like exercising more and more. My weight loss has been slower (but fat percentage better) since exercising.

I have told my husband and sister only and plan to keep it that way.
31 May 2013, 06:48
I can definitely have concentration issues on fast days, but it is gradually getting better. I haven't noticed having more or less energy on 5:2, but my mood has generally been quite a bit better than my usual grumpiness. When I'm not having mood swings (I have the occasional really down day on non-fast days).
75 posts Page 1 of 5