The FastDay Forum

Benefits & Side Effects

14 posts Page 1 of 1
Heart doing some weird thumps
04 Jun 2013, 21:52
I've been 5:2ing for two months and have adjusted to it well, I think, and am losing weight steadily. I have confidence that my health is improving in other ways as well.

But the last two or three weeks I've noticed that every now and then I get a weird thump-thump heart beat that feels stronger and/or louder than it was. Just once, then all is normal. But they are becoming more frequent -- like maybe betweend a half dozen and a dozen times in a day.

Is this something anyone else has experienced? Not sure if I should be concerned about this or not.
yes, there was someone asking about this... see this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2706

It could be caused by hormone changes, too much caffeine, a virus or heartburn among other things. It's likely not important but if it persists it's worth going to the doc for an ECG (EKG).
I've been more aware of my heartbeat as well. I'm ensuring I maintain my weight so I'm not missing out on nutrition. I'm not under stress at work. I wonder if my normal caffeine intake (1 cup caffinated, 2 decaffinated coffee + 3 cups tea ) has a greater effect on an empty stomach, though seems unlikely. I've not had any problem with exercising.
What you describe sounds like a thyroid going crazy. Please keep an eye (or an ear) on it and if it persists please consult your doctor.

While we're on the subject I had a pretty scary incident on Sunday, when my heartbeats went up to 115. It didn't last long but it wasn't pleasant at all. I'm seeing my GP next week and I will ask her.
drDee wrote: But the last two or three weeks I've noticed that every now and then I get a weird thump-thump heart beat that feels stronger and/or louder than it was.

Are you under stress other than from 5:2. I did experience the skip-a-beat feeling a few years ago when under stress.
It never hurts to go to your Physician for a check up. I suggest that your Doctor test you for a full blood count and make sure he check your Potassium levels, your blood sugar and the tests recommended in the posts above.
Check your caffeine intake. I had the thump-thump (irregular beats) symptoms two years ago. Started irregularly and worked its way up to several an hour. Eventually after one thump-thump it started my heart racing, around 140bpm, this went on for 2 hours so I was taken to hospital where I was monitored until my rate returned to normal. The doctors were concerned at first and ran a barrage of tests including ECG and blood tests. Everything showed up as normal. However, analysis of my caffeine habit (I drank ridiculous amounts of caffeine) was an eye opener and I was told not to take caffeine any more and I haven't other than very small doses in chocolate (it's the only thing I have never found as caffeine free - but I have avoided looking :-))

Mind you when I gave up caffeine the headaches were chronic and I still had several lesser episodes of racing heart and irregular beats, but over a six week period they eventually went away and, touch wood, all has been normal since. Still miss an espresso though, decaff is not the same :-( Mind you, I still miss a ciggie now and again and it's been a looong time since I gave those up.
I have a valve problem that causes my heart to race sometimes, or do a big thump. It's never happened as frequently as you describe, though...

I would see a doctor to be on the safe side.

edit to add: caffeine aggravates my condition--I have to really watch how much coffee in particular I have. Also... I'm more sensitive to caffeine since fasting. I don't know if it's the empty stomach thing, or maybe just weighing less.
From your description I would recommend you see your doctor.

Peter Smith (RN)
If in doubt, consult your GP rather than random people on an internet forum - however well meaning they may be (and in some cases indeed well informed). Nothing beats seeing a medical professional to put your mind at ease and get things right :)
I concur with Peter you should get it checked out. I used to work in a Cardiac Clinic & it may be nothing but your GP could arrange for you to wear a monitor to record what is really happening for a couple do days.
I agree that you should see your doctor.

But do some thinking on your own, too. I had a two-year episode of heart palpitations--lots of tests--no answers. I finally realized that I had started treating my age-related hair loss with OTC and prescription topical meds that can cause racing heart at the time that the palpitations started. No doctors, even cardiologists, made the connection. I stopped using the meds and the palpitations stopped. I cautiously resumed one OTC med at a much reduced dose. My hair loss has ceased and no more racing heart.

I try to remember whenever a new symptom occurs to ask myself "have I been doing (or taking) anything new or different?"

So, off to the doc and on with your thinking cap--wish I had put mine on sooner!
I've been IFing for a well over a year now, lost 10kgs and have been on maintenance since November.

Currently I'm doing 6:1 and a bit. So one day a week I fast completely for 24 hours then eat <300 calories - later in the week I fast for 24 hours then eat a normal meal.

My resting heart rate has always been fairly low - I had it down to 50 when I was in my 50s and doing a lot of cycling. I'm now in my mid-seventies. The last time I checked it - last year some time - it was around 60.

I checked it the other day and it is now down to 45 beats per minute! I'm as fit as a flea and feel absolutely tip top - with an abundance of energy!

I'd like to think it was down to my IF regime.

I saw the doc about it - I was concerned about AF (atrial fibulation) and asked if an ECG was called for. My doc said that if my heart rate was unusually increased, that's when he would recommend anECG, but he was totally unconcerned about the low heart rate.

But I agree with the others, nothing like an expert (especially your expert) opinion.

Cheers, B&W
Thank you for all of your thoughtful and informative replies. And Caroline I did follow the links on the former thread and learned a lot that way too.

It is reassuring to hear that others have had a similar thing even though in different circumstances. I am not under stress at all and had my thyroid and blood sugar checked about three weeks ago -- not to say something may not have developed in the meantime though.

So yes, I will make an appointment with my doc and see what he has to say. And I will let you know what I learn.

Again, thanks much! :smile:
14 posts Page 1 of 1