The FastDay Forum

Benefits & Side Effects

6 posts Page 1 of 1
Hello everyone
I completed my second fast of first week yesterday but as on my first day night I again slept really badly. Last night I had an Aero hot chocolate drink thinking it might help me settle more quickly but still took 2-3 hours to get to sleep then slept very intermittently.
Has anyone else found this & if so what helps to alleviate it?
Is it just my body trying to settle into this new routine? But I have lost one pound in weight but expect it will go back on when I eat today.
Any advice gratefully received!
Thank you
Isis
;)
Hi Isis

Yes, I'm afraid it is a problem for the first few fasts. Fasting puts the body under a slight stress (which is good for getting the health benefits) but this causes greater alertness (good while you want to be awake) so you have trouble sleeping. After a few fasts though, your body adapts and you sleep normally, and I find on feast days I sometimes sleep better than normal (being a poor sleeper generally).

Dr M says having protein in your evening meal helps and that he sometimes saves enough calories for a small glass of milk at bedtime to help with sleep (he suffers from insomnia and has tweeted that he intends to do a programme about it soon).

It will get better, so stick with it!
Thank you very much Caroline for your helpful comments. At least I am "normal" or it is predicted with me sleeping badly. I did wonder if the more alert state carried on into night. It is fascinating how adaptable ones body is & I'm still amazed how I reacted to not eating until supper with not feeling hungry. I know many people in the forum found this but I still found it weird happening to me. I guess I will have to be patient whilst my body adjusts.
Thank you
Isis
I didn't sleep well either after my second fast day yesterday but then I always wake up when I turn over! But on the first fast day on Wednesday I had the best sleep I'd had in years!!! Don't know how that pans out!
I save some calories for a Slim crispbread and some lo cal cheese spread (sad though I am, I weigh that too).
I wouldn't sleep hungry.
I always seem to have vivid dreams when fasting. No problem sleeping, though.
6 posts Page 1 of 1