The FastDay Forum

Benefits & Side Effects

5 posts Page 1 of 1
Effect on high blood pressure
03 Feb 2013, 17:34
Hi, I was just wondering if anyone has had their blood pressure measured before and after following the 5:2 diet for a few weeks and if there has been a reduction. I was told I had raised blood pressure before Christmas and when I made it clear that I didn't want to go straight onto tablets, was told that I could use a 24 hour blood pressure monitor to see whether it was just 'white coat syndrome'. I have managed to put off the 24 hour blood pressure monitor (thanks to bad weather, etc!) and have now been fasting for 3/4 weeks with a loss of weight and inches around my middle. I am so hoping that my blood pressure will have gone down! My cholesterol was slightly elevated as well,(like a lot of the population) and if my blood pressure is high, I've been told I will have to go onto statins, which I also want to avoid. Would be interested to hear other people's experiences. :)
You don't have to go on statins, they can only advise you to.

My bp is down, was being taken every 2 weeks since I was stupid enough to go to a new patient review and it was 160/103. Now it's around 140/90 and they say I can come back in 6 months. I've lost about 2.5kgs over a month.

My cholesterol was 8.3 last time it was measured ages ago. Not had it done but may do if I get thinner. Mine is 85% hereditary so little point in stressing about it, according to my last doctor!
Going to the doc on tues to get bp measured. I'm on meds for hypertension but since adding HIT to 5:2 I've been feeling lightheaded in the hours after taking the tablets so am hoping it's due to bp going low. Will report back on tues.
I have been on BP meds for about 15 years now, and I was geting lightheaded sometimes upon rising quickly, etc. I do exercise daily on a treadmill. After 3 months on 5:2 and losing 12 pounds I have stopped taking BP meds for the last two weeks, with never a pressure over 125 or 80. Most readings in the teens. I monitor twice a day, for safety until I can be sure the loss of weight is the reason for drop in BP. I am going for my yearly physical next week and will discuss this with my Dr. I do not advocate stopping meds for anyone, but as a former pharmacist I felt I could self test safely. Most Drs. unfortunately do not recommend people to reduce or eliminate meds, they would rather you just continue , for THEIR peace of mind. IMO. I am am sure I will have a hard time convincing him to let me off completely.
Hi

My OH (Les) is on meds as his BP was extremely high, even with meds it didn't calm down that much and he had to keep going for checks and worked really hard at getting it down. :confused: He's a lorry driver so it's very important that it's under control. He had a check up at the end of July with his consultant and a couple of days before that with his nurse and for the first time his BP was ok. :heart: I put this down to us both being on 5:2 as nothing else has changed in our lives. We are both still busy and stressed out about the same things as always.

I've also noticed that he's having less headaches and is generally in much better form. :smile:

I don't know his exact BP as we both work full-time and I don't accompany him to these visits but for the first time he got 2 heads up.
5 posts Page 1 of 1