The FastDay Forum

Benefits & Side Effects

12 posts Page 1 of 1
Good News, Bad News
22 Jun 2013, 10:28
Yesterday I had a health check and the results of a blood test.

The good news was that I was weighed and I am within a "normal" BMI range which was good. My blood pressure is also very good.

The bad news is that I have very high cholesterol. As I don't drink or smoke and I am fairly active the nurse has now advised that I have to see a GP who is likely to recommend I go on statins.

I'm sure I read somewhere on this forum that your blood test could be skewed by fasting. Of course this could just be wishful thinking on my part. Any advice?
Re: Good News, Bad News
22 Jun 2013, 10:45
Well done for normal BMI I too had read somewhere it is best not to have a blood test after a fast day , did you have your blood taken after a fast day ,I am already on statins and I am due to have a blood taken, this concerns me a little I hope mine will be ok
22 Jun 2013, 11:06
I had fasted the day before I had the test and I think I only had something small for breakfast on the morning of the test. This was the first time I'd been tested for cholesterol so don't if had got worse or better.
22 Jun 2013, 11:13
If I were you I would ask for another test before going on statins and make sure its not after a fast day you dont want to be on statins unless you really need to
22 Jun 2013, 11:25
Your doctor will tell you if you should fast (avoid consuming food, beverages and medications, usually for nine to 12 hours) before your blood test. If you aren't fasting when the blood sample is drawn, only the values for total cholesterol and HDL cholesterol will be usable. That's because the amount of LDL (bad) cholesterol level and triglycerides can be affected by what you've recently consumed.
22 Jun 2013, 11:30
But have a look at some of the links on here re cholesterol - it's about the ratio not the total. Mine was very high last time I had a test (high HDL) but the Dr put all of my data into a New Zealand Heart foundation computer program. Weight, ECG results, stress tests, cholesterol, non smoker etc etc...she said I came into the bottom 10% of likelihood to have a heart attack and she said she rarely sees this. So get a 2nd opinion if u don't like the first one.
22 Jun 2013, 11:34
Thanks a lot GMH - really helpful advice.
22 Jun 2013, 11:39
I was always told not to eat from night before cholesterol test
And my friend didn't know this + went after brekkie and she was recalled to see nurse who told her she was pre diabetic. Repeated test month or so later all ok, so I would explain diet and ask for retest if I was you :like: Sue
22 Jun 2013, 15:35
I am always told to do a 12 hour fast before blood test for cholesterol, but Im sure I have read on here somewhere dont have it done before a full fast day as readings are usually higher just have a blood test the day after a normal eating day and just go without breakfast if you are having the test in the morning
22 Jun 2013, 16:18
i too do a full fast no food at all 12 hours before a cholestrol test. i did one and it was highish and had several weeks of raw apple cider treatment in the mornings and went back for a test and it came back in a very normal range. i keep a very close eye on my cholestrol levels as my dad parents both died of heart problem very young and i pray i inherit my maternal grandma genes. died at 95 of natural causes never was on any medication and heavy smoker for at least 40-50 years
23 Jun 2013, 09:11
A study on fasting found raised cholesterol after 24 hours fasting, so yes just do an overnight fast if they want you to. However, there have been lots of papers recent\y saying fasting is not necessary for cholesterol measurement (just for blood sugar ). And total cholesterol is meaningless without HDL figures too. If the ratio is below 4, you should not need statins. Read the other threads on #cholesterol for more info.
24 Jun 2013, 00:50
I have been on statins for about five years and have a blood test every six months, so that levels can be monitored. Up until my last test, a couple of months ago, these have always been 'fasting' blood tests ie nothing but water, black tea/coffee for twelve hours before the test. Last time, however, I was specifically told that they are no longer carrying out fasting blood tests and that I was to eat/drink normally before the test. I have no idea what the results were but can only assume that they are OK, otherwise I would have been called in for a consultation.
12 posts Page 1 of 1